Get to the chopper..........

Let us know what vehicle you own & discuss it in here.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Get to the chopper..........

Postby BBSparky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:41 am

Thought i would put up a quick post on my current project, have the build thread on Britchopper but heres a catch up.

Ok well a little bit of history to this bike. I bought it at the end of summer last year. Its a 2003 Honda Shadow VT125 which was in pretty good condition but the chrome had gone in a couple of places where she had been outside for a little bit in the lovely weather we get here on the Isle of Man.

What she looked like when i got her:-

I rode her round for a bit like this after completing my CBT and was quite happy with her. I then decided that i needed to do something to make her a bit different to all the others like her so started changing a few little bits and pieces

And now with the dark blue stickers removed, rear seat removed and new bars/risers:-

Then it went a little bit further. Latest Update - The chop has started!

Well no turning back now i guess, after the recent incident with a rather blind car driver i have moved the plan a little forward and started to chop my baby up a little. Removed the rear frame for the back fender and then cut that down to match. Next up will be hard tailing it by replacing the rear shocks with box section to allow me to lower the rear end and get a more acceptable arch to tyre gap ( also hard tailing like this means if i need to do more miles and find it uncomfortable i can put the shocks back on! ). Then i shall be painting the tank, side pods, rear fender, and engine covers in either a satin black or urban camo type look. Anyways pics! and will add more as i go along....

Well i had a bit more of a play today. Got the bike more stripped down and worked on getting the backend to sit how i wanted it too. I was then able to make up a pattern so that i can get the part made in box. Also i have drawn up the plans for the side mount ready to get that welded up. Also loaded all the parts that need painting/wrapping into the back of the car so i can take them to he paint shop to get a quote. Cant afford to actually get it done yet but at least i know how much i will be aiming at!. Also found a fair bit of surface rust on the frame so looks like i will need to ask mate to give me a hand so i can take the engine out and properly tidy it up. May as well do this right first time round! Anyway couple of pics of todays work..

Not so much of an update visually this time. Managed to get the frame rubbed down and painted up this weekend and also painted the lower half of the forks and yolks. Richguzzi (on Britchopper) is currently building me my replacement rear struts which will drop the back end of the bike to sit nicely with the rear tyre and also mount the rear plate etc. HUGE thanks for this Rich it is very very much appreciated. Also got all the wiring back together and wired in my new rear light. Put all the panels back on to get a look at how it will be and to give me a look to work out what colour to paint them as I still haven't fully decided. Current favourites are a satin black or an urban camouflage. Also found that I will be needing a new headlight as the crash seems to have broken one of the adjusters inside so it points out at an angle now :( Anyways pics for what they are worth.....

There's no 'I' in TEAM but there is a 'ME' in AWESOME!
    My projects very own website (sad i know!)
    BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Mk1 Mazda Eunos
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 16v, 2.0TDi

Re: Get to the chopper..........

Postby BBSparky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Well a little more to report. Mirrors have arrived and the body panels have been taken to the sign writers to be vinyl wrapped. Decided to go for a textured carbon wrap in a satin black, kind of a modern take on the usual chop colour scheme, will get pics of that once the parts are back. Also got my new number plate through as well. Anyways more updates soon!

BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Postby Road Runner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Wow!! That's great!! Can't wait to see this in person...

Been oh so tempted to go traditional/chopper myself...
    YABBA DABBA DOO
    Road Runner

Postby BBSparky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Cheers :D

Just had a message from the guy in the uk who is making my solid rear struts that he posted them today! wohoo! should be able to get the frame back together over easter. Just waiting to hear when the panels will be ready now. Also working on designs and parts for the exhaust and headlight. May try and get the wheels off the bike and spray the spokes over easter too! 8)

Its getting there! and with time to spare before TT too :hello1:
    BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Postby BBSparky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:30 am

Got an email from the vinyl company today to give me a little update. They have started to wrap the panels :D
    Im very happy with the result so a big thank you to Mike @ Signrite. Heres a taster and more pics soon!!

BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Postby BBSparky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Well got the bike pretty much back together today before the weather went bad. got some pics but will get better pics tomorrow if the weather improves. Does look good though! Carbon wrap can in at 160 + the vat which I didn't think was too bad.

BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Postby man83g » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Thats looking pretty cool now. Like it!!!
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Postby tree » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 pm

yeah is coming together nicely bud.
    Quocunque jeceris stabit
    tree
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Postby _HENDO_ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Looks very dark destroyer with the carbon bits :thumbleft: Those orange indicator lights do stand out tho :?
    _HENDO_

Vehicle Make & Model: Renault Megane Coupé

Postby BBSparky » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Yeah im looking to get clear lenses for them and have some small carbon ones for the back end. Just want to get it back on the road and then i can do the finishing touches

Chopped the big silencer off the exhaust today and thought i would start her up to see how loud she would be! Was a little bit loud! lol. think i may have to get some stubbies on there. Shame as i was hopin i could get away with a couple of trims and some exhaust wrap but dont think the local police would be too impressed. If loud pipes save lives then these babies are stopping wars!
    BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Next

Return to Members Vehicles & Projects