Proactive Road Policing

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Proactive Road Policing

Postby QuietOne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:25 pm

I hear the comment that the Islands Police are attempting to be proactive when it comes to vehicles and other road related subjects, which is a good concept.

However, I have been travelling in to Douglas neigh on every working day over the past several years, and if I've seen one of the Manx Taxpayers, High Performance, Well-Equipped, Very Expensive Police vehicles, then I've been extremely lucky. It seems that they are tucked away in nice warm garages for most of the year and only dusted off at Christmas time.

Where are they all? Why are they out on the public roads being proactive 24hrs a day?
    QuietOne

Postby Fee&Lips » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:34 pm

They are usually sitting at the hairpin in Ramsey watching everyone "speed" round it! They sholud be cruising the Mountain Rd make the presence known! Saying that, the managing director at work has a POrche and he said he was behing the land rover (or whatever 4 whell drive it is) and he found it hard keeping up with them. So either they were driving like fruit cakes or his Porche is cream crackered! :roll:

You see the vans driving round alot though.
    Fee&Lips

Postby QuietOne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:40 pm

Cool... So the next time my boss asks why I'm sat around doing nothing apart from watching everyone walking past my desk, I can tell him that I'm being proactive!! :lol:
    QuietOne

Postby Geordie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:43 pm

i've been driving to douglas from port st mary for the past 2 years to and from work, and on weekends... only once have i seen a police vehicle south of douglas!

i would like to see more policing to catch the common idiots. Also would like to know if anyone who does get reported for idiotic driving actually gets a friendly visit or not!
    2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 550
    1993 Eunos Roadster V-Special 1.6i
    1998 Land Rover Defender 90 2.5 300Tdi
    2000 Volkswagen Passat B5 1.8 20v
    1997 Volkswagen Golf Mk3
    Geordie
    Advanced Member

Postby Fee&Lips » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 pm

QuietOne wrote:Cool... So the next time my boss asks why I'm sat around doing nothing apart from watching everyone walking past my desk, I can tell him that I'm being proactive!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: we can but try!
    Fee&Lips

Postby Fee&Lips » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Geordie wrote: Also would like to know if anyone who does get reported for idiotic driving actually gets a friendly visit or not!

Probably not. THey probably don't even file your complaint as if it doesn't make their statistics look very good . :evil:
    Fee&Lips

Postby QuietOne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Does anyone know how many purpose built (modified) road policing vehicles we've actually got on the Island, and whether they are all based in Douglas?
    QuietOne

Postby Fee&Lips » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:40 am

http://www.gov.im/dha/police/road_unit.xml

Listed here what they have! Oh and where did I say they sit........... they are that proud they even have a photo of their spot!

If you can't be bothered reading the what the link takes ya to, they have:

The RPU currently operates two Range Rover TD6, three Ford Mondeo ST 220s, one Honda Accord S type Tourer, and a range of unmarked enforcement cars. The motorcycle wing consists of five Honda Pan Europeans.

Oh and an action phot of Derek Flint! :D
    Fee&Lips

Postby QuietOne » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:47 am

So they have all these vehicles... where are they?

Why don't they get out there and look for the problems rather than waiting around for the problems to come to them?
    QuietOne

Postby Fee&Lips » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:41 am

Theres one thats looks like a 4 wheel drive with a high back on it that was parked in a private driveway in Andreas I saw yesterday! See I think, and I don't know if you agree, but I think if so much money is been spent on cars etc for the police, could they not be made better use of by them being used on all shifts rather than being used as a run around also to get home....ie. don't take the car home with the policeman/women finish shift. Park it up at the sation ready for next shift and use your own car to get home. But on the other hand, is there enough work to warrant the constant use of such cars?????? If not, why have so many???? :roll: mmmmm :?:
    Fee&Lips

Next

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..