Keep Your Distance

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Keep Your Distance

Postby QuietOne » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09 am

I think today might have highlighted that driving too close to the vehicle in front is not a good idea, especially in icy conditions. On my usual journey in to Douglas this morning, I nearly had two vehicles crash in to the back of me, how I didn't is pure luck!!

I would like to echo the police advice, Learn to drive according to the conditions.... PLEASE!!! :x
    QuietOne

Re: Keep Your Distance

Postby emesde » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:35 am

Couldn't agree more .
    Even at 30 mph you are travelling at approx 45 feet per second .
    People who think they can drive safely only a few feet from the bumper of the car in front are just plain stupid.
    Unfortunately some people seem to think that by doing this they are actually good drivers ,because of their fast reactions. Usually these people have very low IQ's.
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby Cret » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 am

I'm sick of seeing this.

I'm also sick of people turning their foglights on now that it's dark. For some reason there were especially many tonight who had turned their foglights on because it was windy. Go figure.
    I think they must have as many IQs as foglights.

And what i like to refer to as the hateful "National Limit" of 40mph, now seems to have been reduced to 30-35mph now it's darker/wetter out too.
    If you're not competent/confident enough to drive your car at quicker speeds than this in general in a 50 or de-restricted zone then you don't deserve the privilege of having a license.

You'd probably fail your test for it, and after all, that's only an indication of minimal, basic competence.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby bougourd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:08 pm

i hate people at the moment who just seem to brake when seeing a damp patch on the road. big puddles i can understand, but damp patches, NO
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Postby BigDave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm also sick of people turning their foglights on now that it's dark

That's quite annoying, but not half as much as the imbiciles who drive around on sidelights and fogs, thinking that somehow that amounts to dipped beam. One inparticular I've driven past on a few occasions over the last week or two has only one functioning sidelight and no dipped beam working at all - opting to use the foglights instead of actually replacing the bulbs!
    BigDave

Postby ah kid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 pm

my foglights are activated when using the tiny side lights , im often forgetting to turn um off after going up the plantations with my dog :shock: , but i must admit that no body ever says anything down the sea terminal on a night time :lol: :lol: oh and fog lights ..... i hate um so much that if you see flashing in the rear view ?? it will be me :cussing: turn um off!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jesus loves me for my rumble....the neighbours well ........not really ......
    ah kid
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Forester XT
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 turbo

Postby Cret » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Ditto! I flash my fogs at oncoming cars that have theirs on. Not for any kind of tetchyness, but to try and signal them in case it's not actually deliberate.

I know on some cars it's not massively obvious that they are on if you do it by accident or forget to turn them off after legit use (the legacy foglight switch would regularly get hit by my knee when getting in & out for instance), but there are too many people for it all to be accidental. Most have a light inside to tell you anyway.
    The ones doing it deliberately must be imbeciles and possibly brain dead if they think it either helps or looks cool.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby JayJay » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 am

I agree with the foglights. I sit quite low in my car (due to both the car being lowered and the "lying down" sitting postion the incredibly comfy seats have) and fogs on when its damp blinds me. Between the fogs and the dipped beams reflecting off the wet road I can't see anything, just a wall of light. It'd be okay if it was foggy! People dont seem to realise that it is technically illegal to use your fogs in certain conditions (you're only supposed to use them when you can't see xyz feet ahead of you) and that it is actually dangerous to use them otherwise.
    JayJay

Postby ah kid » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 pm

So , does anyone know the actual laws on fog lights then as I can't see people going outside with a 30 mtr tape and checking the visible distance on it ?? Some of the new hid lights can also blind you too 
    Jesus loves me for my rumble....the neighbours well ........not really ......
    ah kid
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Forester XT
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 turbo

Postby privatebill » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:35 pm

i always think its depressing the number of car who do have fog lights but somehow forget that when they drive in fog!
    privatebill

Next

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..