Jay's Prelude

Let us know what vehicle you own & discuss it in here.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Jay's Prelude

Postby JayJay » Thu May 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi all,

New member, a colleague of mine pointed me to the forum :)

Anyway, on to the car!

She's a 1995 Honda Prelude, 2.2 VTEC Import. BB1 chassis meaning she had 4WS, but due to complications I've removed it and replaced it with a 2WS subframe. The book put's her at 200bhp (before anyone says "meh its 183bhp" thats the UKDM version!) with approx. 160ft/lbs torque (not sure on the exact figure, should be just over as I think thats the UKDM version as well). However, she is 15 years old, so no doubt she's not there anymore bit :lol: Unfortunately there's no dyno's on the island, so I've no easy way of seeing how she's doing. She's pretty standard. Kind of.

- Tein Basics (looking to upgrade to BC Racing BR Series though)
    - Energy suspension poly bushes (entire set)
    - Some unknown brand catback the previous owner fitted. Far too loud for my liking but I've yet to find something I'm happy to replace it with.
    - Recently re-fitted the OEM intake the previous owner had removed. She's a lot quieter and definately feels better in the low rev's. Not sure why people replace the intake before anything else, it's really not worthwhile :roll: Sounds loud? Yes. Performance? Not really.
    - CarPC (little computer at the back, touchscreen at the front). A lot safer, saves messing around with CD's. Busy working on the fascia for this at the moment.
    - Found a set of the OEM wheels. Much lighter than the 17's the previous owner had fitted. Handling and acceleration is much improved! Recently had them re-sprayed as well.
    - Exedy OE clutch
    - Fidanza 8lb flywheel (compared to the 20lb+ OEM flywheel!)
    - Managed to get hold of a Forbidden Motorsports short shifter. If anyone likes going for a quick blast on weekends, a shortshifter is invaluable! Between the shifter and the flywheel/clutch shifting is perfect.
    - Skunk2 gear knob. The old one was in a state, so I splashed out on a Skunk2 one. Definately worth the money, the weight of the gear knob makes a huge difference to the feel of the shift!
    - Tanabe front and rear strut braces. Did actually make a huge difference, got them on a good deal as well.
    - eBay jobbie exhaust manifold and downpipe (the original one was full of holes :lol: )
    - Full leather interior

And before anyone says anything YES, the bonents black :lol: but NO it's not out of choice. I've been endeavouring to get her mechanically sound (which was bushes, suspension and exhaust, which is all sorted now) before working my way on to the bodywork. Unfortuantely the bodywork is a big job (bad rust on the rear quarters, windows, and a full respray) so I'll have to live with the bonnet for now. But I am planning on having her full silver again!

Anyway, on to the pictures:

Helped a friend of mine marshal at some rally in Jurby. Never done it before, was quite fun!

Very old interior shots:

(work in progress this:)

Engine shots (with the old intake):

Anyway, that's her! I'm putting a lot of time and money in to restoring and improvement, trying to make her look presentable! (although improving wherever I can as I go along :lol: )

Cheers,

Jay

*edit* forgot to mention a few of the nice toys she has, such as :
    - limited slip differential (only on import BB1/BB4's as far as I know)
    - traction control (only on those with LSD)
    - electric wing mirrors
    - sunroof
    - cruise control
    - 6 speaker surround sound (some models I've seen have 8, guess the original owner didn't want that package :lol:)
    - 4 wheel steering (now removed)

all as stock.

Not bad for a 15 year old car! (Well, 19 years now technically).
    Last edited by JayJay on Thu May 13, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JayJay

Re: Jay's Prelude

Postby Q » Thu May 13, 2010 4:35 pm

thats a big clock!
    Q

Highscores: 2
    Vehicle Make & Model: Big red van

Postby JayJay » Thu May 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Q wrote:thats a big clock!

haha thats the music player. It's also doubles a really big clock.
    JayJay

Postby jamie » Thu May 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Thats a really nice car, seems in very good condition too. This generation of Prelude is far prettier than the next too!
    I'm aiming to be a legend, and I will be!
    jamie
    Pro Member

Highscores: 1
    Vehicle Make & Model: Audi S5
    Vehicle Engine Size: 4.2 V8
    Motoring Interests: Hot Hatches / Coupes

Postby Road Runner » Thu May 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Jay,

I've seen you bombing around up North. Surprised you came back after Uni!!
    YABBA DABBA DOO
    Road Runner

Postby JayJay » Thu May 13, 2010 8:51 pm

jamie wrote:Thats a really nice car, seems in very good condition too. This generation of Prelude is far prettier than the next too!

Cheers bud :) Unfortunately the camera phone pictures don't pick up the growing rust spots on the rear arches, or all the little dings :( But I'll get her looking spotless if it kills me :lol:

Road Runner wrote:Jay,

I've seen you bombing around up North. Surprised you came back after Uni!!

Yeah, I quite like the island to be honest! Love (most of) the roads :wink: :lol: Not sure who you are though :lol:
    JayJay

Postby ah kid » Thu May 13, 2010 10:35 pm

looks nice fella and is the milage correct??
    Jesus loves me for my rumble....the neighbours well ........not really ......
    ah kid
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Forester XT
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 turbo

Postby JayJay » Thu May 13, 2010 11:04 pm

177,000 is in km, at the moment it works out at around 130,000 miles. A lot, but not much for the engine. A friend of mine has one with over 250k and still pulling strong.
    JayJay

Postby Unders » Fri May 14, 2010 12:26 am

Gotta say this looks like a nice example of a prelude. I like!

I believe the JDM H22a2 engine like you have in yours is 210bhp from the factory. But then again I have read several different figures depending where you get the info from.

Brilliant cars and happily take no end of abuse. I miss my shoddy old prelude now :crybaby:
    Unders
    Site Manager
    Site Manager

Postby JayJay » Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 am

Unders wrote:Gotta say this looks like a nice example of a prelude. I like!

I believe the JDM H22a2 engine like you have in yours is 210bhp from the factory. But then again I have read several different figures depending where you get the info from.

Brilliant cars and happily take no end of abuse. I miss my shoddy old prelude now :crybaby:

Fraid not, the only 210bhp engine is the Type-S which is JDM only, although if I'm very lucky she'll be getting near that now. The other "normal" JDM 2.2 VTEC's are 200bhp (197bhp technically) whereas the UKDM versions are 183bhp. The 5th gen had a red top engine (red rocker cover) in the later models with the same power as the JDM's (197bhp) whilst the earlier model 5th gen's had 183bhp, same as the 4th gen. Mines an H22A1 (Import JDM), I think the Type-S was the H22A7 but I'm not too clued'd up on the Mk. 5 stuff :lol: Funny looking cars with their big frog eye lights. I think there was also a green top H22 used in some Accord Estate that was JDM only that had silly power...

I agree, they are brilliant cars. So much fun to drive, first VTEC I've owned and I never want anything else now! I'm part of a UK Prelude forum, many of the users there that have sold their Preludes and moved on to other cars have come back, looking for another :lol: Very easy to miss driving them. Very good info there, some amazing Prelude builds on the go. A guy on there (owns Performance Autosport in the UK) had built a 2.3 VTEC out of an H22/H23. Not as easy as it seems! Another is retrofitting a supercharger kit designed for the mk.5 in to the mk.4. Only difference is the layout of the engine bay, but more hassle than its worth I think. The thing Preludes lack is torque.

The price of Preludes has shot down, they're worth nothing at all now, yet over here the two examples I've seen have been around £2500 (Mk.5) or £1500 (Mk.3) whereas in the UK you'd be lucky to get £1500 for a Mk.5 and £500 for a Mk.3! I'd imagine the Island is definately a sellers market, shame I'm not selling. Ever :lol:

*edit* sorry the Type-S is 220bhp not 210, there was never a 210 :)
    JayJay

Next

Return to Members Vehicles & Projects