Beemer clutch - what garages charge sensible labour?

Chat about anything and everything.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Beemer clutch - what garages charge sensible labour?

Postby Cret » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Got a 320D recently (E90) and it's a lovely car but at just 31K miles the clutch is starting to slip.

Pathetic!!!
    So, having bought the most expensive car I've ever paid for and with the lowest miles of any car I've owned, I'm already faced with a costly bill after a few weeks.

I can buy a LUK clutch and dual mass flywheel for about ÂŁ350 all in, which is kind of tolerable, but I really can't afford to pay someone bonkers labour rates to fit it and really don't have the spare time to do it myself. The job is meant to be 3.5-4 hours to replace the clutch & flywheel.

Anyone a garage that can competently fit a clutch to a car like this, and do it for a sensible labour rate?
    Needless to say I won't be going to the BMW garage to have it done as there's no way I can afford their rates.

The annoying this is that if this mileage happened when the car was younger it would have been replaced by warranty as these were notorious for failing (along with dreaded swirl flaps and turbos), so the irony is that I would have probably been better with a higher mileage one in this respect, and it would likely already have been done. :roll:

Cheers dudes!
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Re: Beemer clutch - what garages charge sensible labour?

Postby Nitro » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:02 am

Cret wrote:The annoying this is that if this mileage happened when the car was younger it would have been replaced by warranty as these were notorious for failing (along with dreaded swirl flaps and turbos)

How far out of warranty is it?

I'd go to BMW and (politely) kick off, either that or the garage you bought it from and you'll most likely receive some form of goodwill, they should meet you half way, worse case scenario is they'll tell you its a no, in which case you wouldn't have lost anything.
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 2

Postby Cret » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 am

Good suggestions chief, but I only had the car a month or two and privately bought. It's an 05 one so miles out of warranty, but very very low mileage (the main reason I went for this one).
    Think possibly if I had been a regular customer at the BMW garage then maybe they'd give it a thought, but I've never dealt with them before so they've no reason to even consider a grovel like that.

Pretty poor really but second hand cars are always a risk as we all know. Just sucks a bit.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby steeldonkey » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Try Truck and van, they are good guys and won't F**K it up
    steeldonkey

Postby Cret » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Never heard of them mate. Where about are they?

Will look them up anyway, cheers. Not going to get it done immediately but will keep an eye on it and see how it goes for now as it's only doing it a tiny bit.
    Oh what I would do for a car lift!!!

Don't really have the time though as I'm busy trying to also sort out a boat rebuild, bike rebuild, work on the disco, and work on the legacy!

I can see why people love beemers though. This is my first one, and as a daily family driver I'm well impressed. Specially with the tweaks of a Dynavin and Bluefin... :wink:
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby steeldonkey » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Industrial estate (the one where island fixings used to be and rambo still is, go in turn left, follow it for 100m and its ahead on the left) on the peel road.

My mrs has an e90 320m-sport, its a very tight steer, could do with a spot more poke but once its wound up its a cracking car and very economic too.

Only thing i would say is that if you catch it early you may get away with just the clutch rather than the clutch and flywheel, with it being dual mass once its scored its a replacement job.
    steeldonkey

Postby warby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

old coal board yard, hills meadow.
    warby
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Nissan 200sx s14
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2000cc

Postby Cret » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Cheers chaps :thumbup:
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Return to General Chat