iPhone 4 vs htc

Chat about anything and everything.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: iPhone 4 vs htc

Postby steeldonkey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 pm

ah kid wrote:Right then , I've listened to all about the android system against the fruit phone and Tuesday I decided to go with the latest LG 3d smart phone , wow ... How fast on 3G , edge and wifi !!! I couldn't believe it and it took video and photos in full 1080 p hd !! . Now the phone was bigger than my iPhone by 12 mm but the screen was almost an inch bigger so I thought I'd give it a whirl ....î˜îÂËœ.....the phone hooked up to wifi at home and I was willing to give it a try but then at work it kept on falling off wifi and going to mobile networks so I wasn't happy then at 2 pm the battery went a nice shade of warning red and that was the last straw , I'd only had 2 small phone calls and sent 3 msg's !!! So I went home and put it in the box ready to go back to sure this Saturday !! So from then on I'll be the proud owner of the iPhone 4 .... Sorry but I did try 

Sounds pretty poor to be fair, I would certainly rejected it if the battery lasted less than a day, utter rubbish imo. I have to say that i think unless LG have seriously got their sh*t together in the past few years there phones are not good quality, certainly not a patch on the likes of htc I should have mentioned that when you said about the phone in the first place but as i havent used one for a few years it seemed a bit anecdotal.

How did you find android in general?
    steeldonkey

Re: iPhone 4 vs htc

Postby Cret » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 am

Bit late probably but my 2P worth:

I've been a huge fan of Windows phones for years, then Android, and now iPhone. I'll tell you why.

I've had quite a few windows mobile phones because initially they were around before android and iphone and allowed amazing customisation if that's what you wanted. Apps were numerous and easy to get and extremely useful. Great developer community with the likes of XDA Developers forum etc and more custom apps/tweaks than you could shake a stick at. Used to spend FAR too much time messing around loading different roms etc, but you'd always get some bug or other that resulted in loads of subsequent messing about etc. Got to the point where Android came out and was available so I moved on to that to try it.

Love Android - lots of fun and can work very well but is a bit un-polished in my experience. For the most part it works very well, but the battery management and task management is poor on every iteration of Android that I've tried, and I've tried a lot of android roms (on an HTC HD2).
    The HD2 was a great piece of hardware btw but blighted by the buttons on the bottom that would cause it to turn on in pocket and make calls etc/flatten the battery. Went through loads of different locking solutions to prevent that but they all had drawbacks/bugs. Was always having to much about in Android with task killing apps to get the thing to do housekeeping on processes that shouldn't still be running etc. A bit of a pain but other than that it's quite a nice OS and very flexible.

Then tried Windows Phone 7. Wanted to hate it but actually thought it was really really good. The only downside really was the lack of decent apps since it hasn't been around long. This may have changed a bit now but I wouldn't rule it out as an option (HTC HD7 etc). It's very simple to use and works very nicely.

Finally have ended up with an iPhone 4. I really don't like Apple though. As a company I think their attitude stinks. I hate most of the stuff I read about them, and they put mind bogglingly stupid restrictions on their gear in terms of crippling some of the functionality in software and by their hardware decisions, but ultimately all that aside, I love this phone and it's definitely the best phone I've owned.

It just works. Yes it's annoying at times that there are things I can't do, but it's minor (and I've sorted them with a jailbreak and installation of just 1 single Cydia app). I no longer have to mess about with anything to have a phone that works properly every time, and is simple & intuitive to use. They're overpriced bit they are good. I've had it several months now and it hasn't gone wrong once, but every single smartphone I've owned prior to this has gone wrong on a regular basis (I don't mean they've broken, but requiring frequent reboots/task management etc). Have ended up swapping my netbook for an ipad too as a result of liking this so much. Best of all, is that it has never woken up in my pocket or turned itself on when it shouldn't have been.

The downside is I absolutely and utterly despise itunes, don't like Apple as a company, and hate being seen as an 'iphone owner', but being honest I'm a lot happier with this now than any phone I've had before.

I used to love all the meddling with winmo & android but I don't have the time to spare for that these days so this suits me a lot better.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby man83g » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 am

How hard was the jailbrake cret and what are the drawbacks??? Does it allow flash and can you still use the app store?? Do you have to revert back to the old os to use it...
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Postby martin8 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Jailbreaking an iphone is normally quite easy. You usually need to wait a little while once a new firmware is out for the teams to break a new firmware. The latest firmware (4.3.4) isn't jailbroken yet, so if you've updated to this you'll have to wait for it to be 'broken'.

Other than that, jailbreaking doesn't make much of a different. You're still able to download from the apple app store as well as sync/backup etc with iTunes. As Cret said you can also install Cydia, which is a sort of unofficial app store where you can download non approved apps/install carrier unlocks/etc.

I've jailbroken all of the iphones I've owned (2G, 3G) mainly to remove the carrier unlock. I haven't bothered with the 4, as it was already unlocked and I'm not really fussed about apps.
    martin8

Vehicle Make & Model: Golf Mk4 TDI
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.9

Postby steeldonkey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:29 pm

man83g wrote:How hard was the jailbrake cret and what are the drawbacks??? Does it allow flash and can you still use the app store?? Do you have to revert back to the old os to use it...

Pretty sure i still have all the software to do this, so if you want it done and its not on the newest baseband we can give it a shot if you like, iirc you need to switch to an ipad firmware on the later ones though i don't recall seeing any issues when doing it.
    steeldonkey

Postby Cret » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:32 am

Can't recall the exact details how I did it but it wasn't hard really. Mine was on 4.31 I think and I haven't updated past that from what I recall.

The only reason really why I wanted to, was because those twunts at Apple have decided I shouldn't be allowed toggle switches for the phone radios (ie to turn on/off 3G/data/wifi/bluetooth/GPS) individually from a simple button, and that it'd fine that I have to go through the menus to do that. Does my head in even though it doesn't bother most people.

That's the only tweak I did after JBing it, with one little app, and now I'm pleased as punch with it. Looks and behaves just as it did besides from the addition of this app that lets me decide this stuff instead of some bellend at Apple deciding that I "don't need" to be able to do that. :roll: :thefinger: gay :bootyshake: :scratch:
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Previous

Return to General Chat