Control arms removal for non Mc Pherson suspension

Discuss Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and general suspension on your vehicle
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Control arms removal for non Mc Pherson suspension

Postby RadAg! » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Hello everybody :)
    I'm looking for garage which is able to remove front lower control arms from my car (for bushings and ball joint replacement). The problem is my car hasn't got very popular now McPherson struts but old fashion body on frame springs and needs different spring compressor like this one:

The other way to do this without spring compressor is quite dangerous:
    - Raise and support the frame high enough off the ground so that the lower control arm can swing down fully (like 45+ degrees or so).

- Position a floor jack under the lower ball joint and raise it slightly to preload the suspension. Makes sure it can't slip out from under the lower ball joint.

- Lose the ball joint's cotter pin and loosen--but do not remove--the lower ball joint nut a few turns.

- Bang on the ball joint stud a bit to free it from the steering knuckle.

- Now the fun part and the most dangerous step of all: With oneself positioned over to the side or even better like under the other side of the car and out of harm's way of the spring which is still compressed under some really deadly serious force, remove the ball joint nut and carefully lower the floor jack to allow the control arm to swing down fully to the point that the spring is no longer compressed.

- At this point the spring won't be able to do any harm and can be yanked out from under the frame without issue. Both control arm bolts can be removed allowing the control arm to be freed from the frame.

Do you know anybody who could deal with that on the Island?

Thanks for any support :)
    www.roadrunners.pl
    RadAg!

Vehicle Make & Model: Ford Crown Vic P71
    Vehicle Engine Size: 4.6 V8

Re: Control arms removal for non Mc Pherson suspension

Postby gazza_ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:47 pm

cable tires lol.

to be honest it sounds worse than it is, but if you dont feel safe doing it then dont.

most places should be able to do it i would have thought
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Return to Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension