Shogun - track rod ends?

Discuss Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and general suspension on your vehicle
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Shogun - track rod ends?

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 am

Recently I bought a SWB shogun to tow my boat. I got it cheap because of a coupole of things that need doing to it.

The front end is a bit loose, when you hit bumps it tends to wander a bit. Also, the twon front tyres are quite badly worn on the outside edges - the tracking is quite bad.

I am going to get two new tyres and I was going to get new track rod ends as that is what it seems like to me.

Any agreements/further suggestions?

Thanks
    If you fancy it
    Paul
    Extreme Member

Re: Shogun - track rod ends?

Postby gazza_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:07 am

Dont get the tyres yet,

Have you jacked the truck up yet to check!!!

there are 4 trackrods ends.
    2 per side, with an alu tube that they both scew into, chances are the houseing will be a pig to remove without the help of heat, but with it being alu, its a right nightmare to do, to much and you end up bending the tube, or snapping it clean off.

Also get under it, and you will see to arms that go to the steering arm, drivers side will be the steering box, and a pitman arm to join to the drag links, on the passangers side there is the same sort of housing with the pitman arm on, them arms both ware, and the idla housing on the passanger side tends to ware as well, so best to replace them as well.

my advice replace all 4 trackrod ends including tubes, plus the 2 pitman arms as well, that way you know the steering is right. and i chance its the pitman arms that are gone worse than the trackrod ends.

Funny thing i just orded all them bits plus a few more for mine tonight as well it needs an overhaul, could do with more than i just brought, but at £400 i stopped clicking add to basket,
    Why is it the smallest parts are allways the bloody most expesive,. £80 for 8 pins, ahh bugger

what year is it, engine etc import swb lwb etc, as there are a few things that need to be checked and looked at on them, northing major if caught intime, but if not your talking £0000s if left to do what they do.
    Yes i fixed far to many of them lol.
    but in saying that thay are bloody good trucks once you know the few problems they can have and you keep your eye out for them,
    i Had mine for over 5 years and this is the first time i ever had to spend anything on it, and its been well abused i can tell you that best truck i have ever had to be honest
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:11 pm

haha, cheers Gazza. Its a '98 SWB. Needed something stronger than the freelander to launch the vessel off Peel slip way (she's a steep one) - Its mint apart from its wadering all over the show. Its in GBM today getting looked at. Lee is going to give me a ring in a bit (hopefully not needing too much!)
    If you fancy it
    Paul
    Extreme Member

Postby gazza_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Let me know what they say is wrong with it.

Im sure the boys will pick up on what i have listed above.
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Return to Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension