Powder coating

Discuss Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and general suspension on your vehicle
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: Powder coating

Postby BBSparky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 am

heard a similar rumour a few weeks back from the guys in the bike shop in peel but dont know when it will be. If you do find somewhere let me know as i would like to get my bike wheels done and also maybe the frame.

Cheers
    Marc
    There's no 'I' in TEAM but there is a 'ME' in AWESOME!
    My projects very own website (sad i know!)
    BBSparky
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Mk1 Mazda Eunos
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 16v, 2.0TDi

Re: Powder coating

Postby steeldonkey » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:02 am

Cret wrote:Anodising won't really work with wheels, or is very unlikely to in most cases. Technically it might be possible on some if they have a very high pure aluminium content to carry out a basic anodising process, but unless they're made of billet aluminium you're not likely to get any nice colours onto them..

Had a feeling that could be the case, I was thinking of trying to etch them then anodise them which may be equally unsucsessful.

Cret wrote:Was looking into powdercoating lately too for making custom steel bits look nice. You can buy a kit on ebay for about £130 including powder, the special gun and a few other bits. Apart from that you need an old lecky oven as you mentioned, and a compressor to hook the gun up to. I think 'Eastwood' or something are the main company doing the kits, and they seem to have a good reputation for it.

I did look at these, thing is, by the time i have bought the kit, found an oven, bought the powder, made a bollox of it, then had to get the centers re blasted and do it all again I think i would rather get a proffesional job.

I can see the milage in doing it, but its a messy process and one that i cant see myself repeating frequently. Being honest i really dont like painting things, i can get a decent finish eventually, but i paint about as well as a gorilla rides a tricycle.

Anyone have an idea which company is starting up? (possibly)
    steeldonkey

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Give autocrash a ring, they might be able to help you!!
    If you fancy it
    Paul
    Extreme Member

Postby Cret » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Don't get me wrong - I'm by no means a boffin on anodising, but as I understand it you only get nice looking results with 'proper' aluminium as it were.

Finally, 3 years after buying my anodising gear I got it all set up yesterday and tried it out. For a first attempt that was hastily done and not surface prepped properly I was really quite chuffed with the results. Will post a pic later if I remember.

If people want stuff anodising I can do it for a small fee therefore, although I ought to get more practise in first! :D
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby steeldonkey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Cret wrote:Don't get me wrong - I'm by no means a boffin on anodising, but as I understand it you only get nice looking results with 'proper' aluminium as it were.

Finally, 3 years after buying my anodising gear I got it all set up yesterday and tried it out. For a first attempt that was hastily done and not surface prepped properly I was really quite chuffed with the results. Will post a pic later if I remember.

If people want stuff anodising I can do it for a small fee therefore, although I ought to get more practise in first! :D

Ungh! What are you using for dye? ( i have heard that dylon fabric dye works well) also what are you using for a power supply?
    steeldonkey

Postby Cret » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:47 pm

It's all proper anodising stuff from a kit. I.e. dye specifically for use in anodising. I presume the power supply has some other origins at the point of manufacture but no idea what.

I basically got a kit for doing the whole lot, but I think you could improvise without too much difficulty. The main thing is having a good load of sulphuric acid (I have 5L in a big tub), and I think the power supply has to be able to provide a fair bit of current for doing bigger things (goes by surface area from what I can remember).

I've read accounts of people using clothes dye and even food dye to experiement with. I seem toremember that some clothes dye worked ok but others barely at all. Basically I think it comes down to the size of the dye molecules (or 'bits' anyway), and whether they fade.

Here's my first effort anyway:

As I say I didn't bother polishing or finishing the metal at all and it only had a short session, so all things considered I thing a pretty good test run. :)
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby Jay_VTR » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53 pm

gunna bump this up as I want to freshen up my alloys!!!!
    Tom wrote:Loved it when i saw it the other day. By far one of the best saxos over here.
    Jay_VTR
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6

Postby Marshall » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:03 am

Not sure if this I'm correct in saying this, but I'd heard Marty down at Westminster (Ramsey) was doing powder coating. Maybe worth shooting him a phone call.
    Marshall
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 3
    Vehicle Make & Model: Westfield / Mk1 Golf
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2ltr 16v / 2ltr 16v

Postby jonnyrebel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:26 pm

have a search on google for "powder coating AND cracked wheels" it may change your mind :lol:
    jonnyrebel

Previous

Return to Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension