Nitrogen filled tyres at GBM tyres.

Discuss Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and general suspension on your vehicle
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: Nitrogen filled tyres at GBM tyres.

Postby iomgto » Mon May 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Believe me i was the same way of thinking. I do Drive incredibly hard. and do notice very very slight changes do to the way my car is set up. I will hand on heart say i noticed a difference.

Just try it.... what have you got to lose? £12- that in your subaru might get you up to running temperature.
    iomgto
    Pro Member

Re: Nitrogen filled tyres at GBM tyres.

Postby JayJay » Mon May 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Personally I think it's just a placebo effect.

There seem to be two central benefits linked to using nitrogen filled tyres:

The first claimed benefit is the fact that it holds it's pressure longer than a tyre filled with air. In a tubeless tyre the air leak is so slow that it'd take years for it all to leak out (I check my tyres each week and I've had to pump them up once in the last few months because they'd dropped 1-2psi, hardly any cause for the alarm). Obviously this changes depending on the condition of the tyre (and mine are getting near to needing replacement), but if the tyre and its seal is in such a bad condition that air is leaking at a dangerous rate you need the tyre changed, not whats in it! Many of the other claimed benefits ("improved longevity and reduction in running temperature" as taken from one website) are a direct link to ensuring the tyre is correctly pumped up. Nitrogen doesn't make the tyres last longer, keeping them in good condition and at the correct pressure does. And anyway, you don't WANT your tyres cold :lol: You want them warmed up, and having them at the correct pressure will get them to the correct temperatue. So what exactly are they getting at?

Now the whole longevity/pressure argument really becomes invalid, because if they're supposed to hold their pressure for much longer than air tyres then ideally you'd need to pump the tyre up only once or twice between changing the tyres. I have not read anywhere (that has at least provided impartial advice) that has said nitrogen is a substitute for regular pressure checks. No matter what's in the tyres, you must constantly have them checked (and in all honesty if you're having to pump your tyre up constantly, get a new one).

The second main claimed benefit is improved performance. Nitrogen doesn't make the tyres better. I've done a lot more reading, and in racing nitrogen is used as it's consistent, the humidity of the air will change each raceday and when you're making incredibly precise pressure changes you want it consistent. This leads in to what I previously said with air not being used due to pressure changes. Nitrogens expansion/contraction rate is much more consistent compared to using normal air as the air's humidity changes, which leads to varying rates.

I honestly cannot see anywhere that nitrogen does anything better than air does for road users. All of the main benefits are just down to mainting correct pressure, and if you DO need to pump up you have to take the car in to a garage that can pump your tyre up (which leads to driving with INcorrect pressure), as opposed to checking the pressure and pumping up there and then for free (well, you may have to pay if you're at a petrol station). The performance benefits will have no bearing on road users whatsoever, the tyre's pressure will still increase/decrease as the tyre warms up, at the same rate as before.

Oh, and I'm not saying anything about your service because I have not seen anywhere get as many good reviews as you guys :thumbleft: I'm just debating the tyres :lol:
    JayJay

Postby rx_sideways » Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Out of interest, what vehicle and tyres were you referring to at the start of the thread Al (not the Landy, I guess!)?
    It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
    rx_sideways

Highscores: 2

Postby iomgto » Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Dave - Falken - ran these tyres for a while now probably on my 2 /3 set. so used to them and always have the same pressures in, always balanced and fitted by these guys. lastest set (same tyre) only difference compaired to the last 2 sets is they are all with nitrogen and i DO feel the difference. 195/45/15.

i think if i filled the 34" 4x4 tyres with nitrogen it would cost me alittle more than £3 a tyre!
    iomgto
    Pro Member

Postby gbmtyres » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:04 pm

no mate 3 .00 whatever tyre it is
    gbmtyres
    Novice User

Postby gbmtyres » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Nitrogens expansion/contraction rate is much more consistent compared to using normal air as the air's humidity changes,
    this sentance says it all mate and you said it, what ever vehicle its in the tyre is subject to these changes with air in so thats the benifit of nitrogen also we live on a island in the middle of the irish sea (sorrounded by salt water and salt air) what do think putting this perfect SALT AIR does to your rims on average we clean upto 50 alloy wheels per week so theres your next benifit of nitrogen and lastly we purge the air out of the tyre by inflating and deflating the tyre several times befor settin pressure so you crack on with your placebo effect mate and give us a shout when your rims are rotting away and your beads are leaking all the rest of you guys who have tried this and are reaping the benefit thankyou for your support and as usual you know where we are when you need us guys and gals many thanks john gbm tyres ltd

JayJay wrote:Personally I think it's just a placebo effect.

The first claimed benefit is the fact that it holds it's pressure longer than a tyre filled with air. In a tubeless tyre the air leak is so slow that it'd take years for it all to leak out (I check my tyres each week and I've had to pump them up once in the last few months because they'd dropped 1-2psi, hardly any cause for the alarm). Obviously this changes depending on the condition of the tyre (and mine are getting near to needing replacement), but if the tyre and its seal is in such a bad condition that air is leaking at a dangerous rate you need the tyre changed, not whats in it! Many of the other claimed benefits ("improved longevity and reduction in running temperature" as taken from one website) are a direct link to ensuring the tyre is correctly pumped up. Nitrogen doesn't make the tyres last longer, keeping them in good condition and at the correct pressure does. And anyway, you don't WANT your tyres cold :lol: You want them warmed up, and having them at the correct pressure will get them to the correct temperatue. So what exactly are they getting at?

Now the whole longevity/pressure argument really becomes invalid, because if they're supposed to hold their pressure for much longer than air tyres then ideally you'd need to pump the tyre up only once or twice between changing the tyres. I have not read anywhere (that has at least provided impartial advice) that has said nitrogen is a substitute for regular pressure checks. No matter what's in the tyres, you must constantly have them checked (and in all honesty if you're having to pump your tyre up constantly, get a new one).

The second main claimed benefit is improved performance. Nitrogen doesn't make the tyres better. I've done a lot more reading, and in racing nitrogen is used as it's consistent, the humidity of the air will change each raceday and when you're making incredibly precise pressure changes you want it consistent. This leads in to what I previously said with air not being used due to pressure changes. Nitrogens expansion/contraction rate is much more consistent compared to using normal air as the air's humidity changes, which leads to varying rates.

I honestly cannot see anywhere that nitrogen does anything better than air does for road users. All of the main benefits are just down to mainting correct pressure, and if you DO need to pump up you have to take the car in to a garage that can pump your tyre up (which leads to driving with INcorrect pressure), as opposed to checking the pressure and pumping up there and then for free (well, you may have to pay if you're at a petrol station). The performance benefits will have no bearing on road users whatsoever, the tyre's pressure will still increase/decrease as the tyre warms up, at the same rate as before.

Oh, and I'm not saying anything about your service because I have not seen anywhere get as many good reviews as you guys :thumbleft: I'm just debating the tyres :lol:
    gbmtyres
    Novice User

Postby gbmtyres » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Nitrogens expansion/contraction rate is much more consistent compared to using normal air as the air's humidity changes,
    this sentance says it all mate and you said it, what ever vehicle its in the tyre is subject to these changes with air in so thats the benifit of nitrogen also we live on a island in the middle of the irish sea (sorrounded by salt water and salt air) what do think putting this perfect SALT AIR does to your rims on average we clean upto 50 alloy wheels per week so theres your next benifit of nitrogen and lastly we purge the air out of the tyre by inflating and deflating the tyre several times befor settin pressure so you crack on with your placebo effect mate and give us a shout when your rims are rotting away and your beads are leaking all the rest of you guys who have tried this and are reaping the benefit thankyou for your support and as usual you know where we are when you need us guys and gals many thanks john gbm tyres ltd

JayJay wrote:Personally I think it's just a placebo effect.

gbmtyres
    Novice User

Postby gbmtyres » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 pm

obviously anyone who drives over the mountain and doesnt notice a temp increase in there tyres is either driving incredibly slow or lettin there 95 year old grandparents drive im sorry but i do this road everyday in various motors including transits citroen c 15 bread vans and sti impreza s and if you drive over the mountain your tyres are warm after a run no matter how hard you drive thats fact sorry mate but you and your experts are wrong instead of sitting behind your computer maybe you should get some nitro in your tyres and try it if it made a difference to our bread van im sure itll make some difference to your prelude/ mini / mobility scooter or whatever you drive :lol:
    gbmtyres
    Novice User

Previous

Return to Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension