Smoking in Cars...

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: Smoking in Cars...

Postby bougourd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I dont smoke but think its a daft idea as who is going to police it? The police dont seem to have stopped or even reduced the number of people i see talking on the phone whilst driving so why give them more to do?

I also dont want it to lead to bans on eating whilst driving (would mcdonalds drive-thru then be forced to shut down? etc)

They say its to stop people throwing butts out of the window. Well throwing anything out of a car window is classed as littering so already a fineable offence surely?

At the end of the day if you are incapable of driving safely without the distraction of something else going on, you shouldnt really be on the road
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Re: Smoking in Cars...

Postby inchley313 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Taggart wrote:So must changing the stereo/eating/arguing with the wife/getting a blow job.

agreed!!!!
    2002 Ford Galaxy, 2.3 16v in Silver
    2003 Mercedes Vito, 2.2CDi Drainage Van

http://www.drainageconsultantsiom.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/drainageconsultants
    inchley313

Vehicle Make & Model: Ford Galaxy
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.3 16v
    Motoring Interests: Mods & Motorsport

Postby inchley313 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:29 pm

bougourd wrote:I dont smoke but think its a daft idea as who is going to police it? The police dont seem to have stopped or even reduced the number of people i see talking on the phone whilst driving so why give them more to do?

I also dont want it to lead to bans on eating whilst driving (would mcdonalds drive-thru then be forced to shut down? etc)

They say its to stop people throwing butts out of the window. Well throwing anything out of a car window is classed as littering so already a fineable offence surely?

At the end of the day if you are incapable of driving safely without the distraction of something else going on, you shouldnt really be on the road

Again, hitting the nail on the head!!!!!!!!

inchley313

Postby inchley313 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Taggart wrote:So must changing the stereo/eating/arguing with the wife/getting a blow job.

If you can do all of those things and drive at the same time then :salute:

that's got to take some real talent!! :headbang:

inchley313

Postby VR6 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Lol

Is anyone even bothered that the whole point is health related? It's to protect kids and others having to inhale second hand smoke.

It's sod all to do with mobile phones or changing the volume on the stereo or eating a twix (or c**k, if you're Taggart).
    VR6
    Advanced Member

Postby Marshall » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:49 pm

The thing is though, the people that smoke in the car with the kids are the exact same people that smoke in the same room as the kids at home. The stupid thing is that generally people have the window slightly ajar when smoking in the car and basic physics says that the smokes going to be sucked out of the window when driving.....

Seriously, if they ban smoking in the car for health reasons then next on the list will be the home. These so called experts really need to stop interfering with what they think is best for other people. Mum & Dad used to be heavy smokers when I was a nipper and there's chuff all wrong with me and I'm sure millions more would say the same, if you were to go by what all these so called 'experts' say then it's quite the miracle that as a human race we haven't all died out by now....
    Marshall
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 3
    Vehicle Make & Model: Westfield / Mk1 Golf
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2ltr 16v / 2ltr 16v

Postby VR6 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Marshall wrote:The stupid thing is that generally people have the window slightly ajar when smoking in the car and basic physics says that the smokes going to be sucked out of the window when driving....

Why do smokers' cars always stink then? ;)
    VR6
    Advanced Member

Postby Marshall » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

The clue's in this bit here:

Marshall wrote:the smokes going to be sucked out of the window when driving....

That and you get smelly transfer from clothes and hands, dirty dirty smokers. The thing is they're looking for an all out ban of smoking in cars, that includes if you're driving by yourself. It's just wrong that they should try and force their thinking and beliefs* on other people. What ever happened to letting people make decisions for themselves??

I say beliefs because you can pretty much create tests/research to give you any predetermined answer you require. The safety of recreational drugs is normally a good one for this.
    Marshall
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 3
    Vehicle Make & Model: Westfield / Mk1 Golf
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2ltr 16v / 2ltr 16v

Postby Nitro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Smoking whilst kids in the car = ban
    Smoking whilst on your own = OK

I've since given up smoking, but I used to regularly smoke in my car whilst driving, although I did stop this towards the end when I wiped my windscreen with a special glass cleaner and the white cloth I used became sticky browny orange.

The only danger I can see whilst smoking is if you crash/nearly crash, I had a near miss (car on my side of the road!), In my reaction of grip the wheel and brake hard (ie panic mode!) I dropped the ciggarette onto the floor, by the time I stopped it burnt through the floor mat and halfway through the carpet below!
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 2

Postby man83g » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Smoking in work vehicles has been banned for a while hasn't it?? But I still see plenty of people smoking in vans and wagons!!! Banning it won't stop the die hard smokers, it'll more than likely just increase govt revenue in fines when the one traffic cop who's bothered writes a ticket!!!
    As for people smoking in front of kids, whether in a car or at home, I find that wrong!! But that's just my opinion on it. I used to smoke, but quit a long time ago. Now i only smoke when drunk, and usually wish i hadn't the next day, but I would never smoke around kids at all...
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

PreviousNext

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..