That's it - I've fe*king had enough...

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: That's it - I've fe*king had enough...

Postby man83g » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 am

Shame we don't have the luxury of such wide roads eh!! If we did then maybe you would never have been knocked from your bike or been cut up by large vehicles needing to get past you. You mention the wind behind you helping you go around 27ish on the flat, but what about a 5 mph head wind, or side wind for that matter, does that not knock your speed down to closer to 22,maybe 23 with a much greater chance of you not going dead straight in the road. Swerving around is not good for you or the driver who is passing you..
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Re: That's it - I've fe*king had enough...

Postby poshboy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:14 pm

could you not just by a cheap to run car and have done with these issues?
    Don't knock on Death's door, Ring the bell and runaway,
    Death really hates that.

Steer with the rear
    poshboy
    Pro Member

Highscores: 4
    Vehicle Make & Model: Vauxhall VXR8
    Vehicle Engine Size: 6.2

Postby =^..^= » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

poshboy wrote:could you not just by a cheap to run car and have done with these issues?

LOL - I was driving home from work last night (I did the 24 hour mtb event at the weekend and had to return some stuff to Bikestyle), listening to some ska on the CD player, safe and warm & taking it easy when it started to rain and was asking myself the same bloody question...

I got up an hour later than normal, got home 30 mins earlier but didn't have to have a shower etc

This saving the planet b*llocks is for mugs....

But then I do like the new cycling lane they have coned off on the richmond...
    =^..^=

Postby V » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:22 am

My experience of cyclists is that although most do not want to get in the way and just wish to get to their destination like the rest of us. There is always that minority who dont help themselves.
    Best example i can think of is something i noticed you did in your videos. A vehicle commits to the overtake and passes you (safe or unsafe is irrelevant for the point im making) then once that vehicle is past and comes to a junction; you then cut inside of the vehicle and back infront. That vehicle then has to commit to an overtake again. This puts you at risk and slows the vehicle. Which in turn i imagine the vehicle will be less patient this time and be victim of what i can only see as your personal vendetta against the world because of a minority.
    V
    Novice User

Vehicle Make & Model: Civic ek9
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 b16b
    Motoring Interests: Technique and Control

Postby Jay_VTR » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:18 pm

=^..^= wrote:LOL - I was driving home from work last night (I did the 24 hour mtb event at the weekend and had to return some stuff to Bikestyle), listening to some ska on the CD player, safe and warm & taking it easy when it started to rain and was asking myself the same bloody question...

What Ska you into? :hello1: I love ska music! I think you should come and see my ska band play at manifest this year...
    Tom wrote:Loved it when i saw it the other day. By far one of the best saxos over here.
    Jay_VTR
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6

Postby =^..^= » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 pm

V wrote:Best example i can think of is something i noticed you did in your videos. A vehicle commits to the overtake and passes you (safe or unsafe is irrelevant for the point im making) then once that vehicle is past and comes to a junction; you then cut inside of the vehicle and back infront. That vehicle then has to commit to an overtake again.

The only video I can think in that lot where I pass someone that has passed me is the cement truck turning right when I'm turning left? Is that the one you mean ?? If there is a line of cars at a junction then I'll filter past but I won't filter past just one car - it's not worth it.

Jay_VTR wrote:What Ska you into? :hello1: I love ska music! I think you should come and see my ska band play at manifest this year...

It was all sorts of Ska stuff - I depped for Buncha Skankers on bass in TT week at the Bay as Petey couldn't make it. Hope you have a good gig at mannifest - we are away that weekend.

All joking and various points aside since I put the vids up I have noticed a significant improvement in the amount of space given to me by the cement companies lorries and JCKL lorries. They've gone from being the worst to two of the best.
    =^..^=

Postby V » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Ok seing as you want to debate this with me.
    The video with the cement truck you cause just as many problems as he does. After all you have undertook him on a junction; regardless of the fact he isnt turning right you undertook him into a blind spot.
    As for the video after that by port erin where you go over the roundabout you cut all the way over so the car what has already commited to passing has to cross over onto the cobble surface; to top this off you show no sign of moving over to the outside of the roundabout.
    "Who has the green light?" - If that bus slammed on his brakes...

I dont hate cyclists and i dont encourage dangerous driving.
    V
    Novice User

Postby Unders » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:21 am

V wrote:and i dont encourage dangerous driving.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

With your driving habits?
    Unders
    Site Manager
    Site Manager

Postby =^..^= » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 am

V wrote:Ok seing as you want to debate this with me.

In reality you put a comment up there on the video so it's actually you wanting to debate it with me but lets not split hairs.

V wrote:The video with the cement truck you cause just as many problems as he does. After all you have undertook him on a junction; regardless of the fact he isnt turning right

He is turning right. And he did turn right so he didn't have to re-overtake me. He overtook me without his right indicator on and then put it on as he came up to the junction. Even if I were to ignore his indicator his road position is a pretty good indication of which way he is going. To me at least.

I guess then if you come to a T junction with a car turning right when you are turning left and there is enough of a gap that you can fit through that you don't pull alongside??? Yeah right, of course you do. It stand to reason that a vehicle having to cross two lanes of traffic will have to wait longer for a suitable gap than a vehicle turning left that only needs a gap in one lane. I'm not suicidal, I don't pass long or wide vehicles turning left if I'm turning left.

V wrote:As for the video after that by port erin where you go over the roundabout you cut all the way over so the car what has already commited to passing has to cross over onto the cobble surface; to top this off you show no sign of moving over to the outside of the roundabout.

I think you might need to watch that video again - the car is ahead of me by the give way line - he chooses where he is going - he decides to drive across it, I'm not alongside the car, I'm behind it - looking straight at his number plate. If I hadn't slowed down then I probably would have been alongside him. Does that seem fair to you. That a car forces me to slow down when they overtake??

V wrote:"Who has the green light?" - If that bus slammed on his brakes...

All his passengers would have fallen on the floor and I've have stopped easily... I have very little weight and, when upright as I was there, loads of grip as when I'm on the brakes the weight transfer pushes the front wheel into the tarmac.

You are sat here with the benefit of hindsight, "monday morning quarterbacking" as the Americans would call it, you are looking at videos that in real time take 3 maybe 4 seconds. The risks being taken by drivers are only likely to affect their licence and their insurance where as what a driver does is likely to affect my health. If a car driver takes a risk and makes a mistake who is going to end up on the floor???

Anyway - IMHO (and I'm not being sarcastic here) I doubt anyone on this forum is likely to treat the more vulnerable road users the way these videos show. I have a few more so when I get a second to snip the sections out I'll post them up..

Just an aside and I'm not posting this to say I have uberskills (I never have had and this vid is a few years old and I'm not as good as I was then - and I wasn't that good even then) - check out the gap I fit through at 1:43 - less than 1" clearance at 20mph+ off road on a wet slippy surface that slopes left to right..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8mgFjvt8k8

The helmet cam catches some pretty coool things too - I hope you enjoy this one - it's one of the reasons I cycle as you'd never see anything like this in a car..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpYg5SWnAEo
    Enjoy :)
    =^..^=

Postby V » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:18 am

Unders wrote:
    V wrote:and i dont encourage dangerous driving.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

With your driving habits?

I practice my driving on a variety of roads every day mate. I dont drive dangerously; just faster than you. I seem to remember you have never driven with me so you wouldnt know my ability.
    V
    Novice User

PreviousNext

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..