Me

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Me

Postby Cret » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:52 am

This morning on my bike.

I failed to pay full attention to something and even though I was going fast, or on the face of it doing something bad, a simple failure to spot something obvious could have potentially been pretty bad.

Very embarrassed indeed. :(
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Re: Me

Postby Taggart » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I think you should report yourself to the police.
    Taggart
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 7
    Vehicle Make & Model: Evo VIII
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1997

Postby Cret » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm

No chance. I can't be bothered making a statement, plus it would be my word against mine.

Seriously though it was an unpleasant reminder that you always need your wits about you on the road. I try to ride/drive sensibly, and don't like to consider how bad I was say 15 years ago, but you still make mistakes, and sometimes it's only circumstances/coincidence that is the difference between a harmless mistake and something catastrophic.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby man83g » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Good on you for admiting your mistake. Bet there aint many about that would hold there hands up to a goof on the road..
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Postby Cret » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:03 pm

Cheers - I'd way rather not have done it in the first place though. I criticise other people in this part of the forum when I see them do stupid things (although generally when it's more than one thing, so it's apparent they're reckless or just don't care), so it's only fair that I can criticise myself.

It's embarrassing, but if it helps to make me pay extra attention in future to avoid this then it's useful.
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby ah kid » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:28 pm

so can you tell us what you did or is it too painful or embarrassing :oops: :withstupid: :thumbright:
    Jesus loves me for my rumble....the neighbours well ........not really ......
    ah kid
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Forester XT
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 turbo

Postby Cret » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:07 am

Well let's say that I assumed something was going to turn right (as it was in a lane to turn right) when it actually was going to swing across and turn left across both lanes. A totally unexpected maneuver by the other vehicle in question (that was a lot bigger than me!), but if I'd been fully paying attention I would have noticed what it was about to do.

Like I say I wasn't going fast or anything but clearly I wasn't paying as much attention as I 'thought' I was.

I'll not make that mistake again.
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby emesde » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 pm

I admire your self deprecation :salute: . Although I think it is probably misplaced in your case.
    Making a mistake does not make you a bad driver.
    It's the person who goes out not caring if they make a mistake who is usually the bad driver,and those people who learn nothing from their mistakes.
    Sometimes we make mistakes and pay the full price for doing so ----although in reality we usually get off lightly and learn from the incident and dont make the same mistake again.
    That makes you an improving and more aware driver, rather than a bad driver. :wave:
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby Cret » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Makes sense ta, and it's kind of a reflection on my earlier comment about the kind of people I criticise myself ie, not the ones who appear to have simply made a mistake, but the ones who are blatantly reckless and show it at nearly every opportunity.

The bit that probably bugs me most now is that the few people who saw it are likely to think I'm an idiot and/or dangerous. Doesn't change whether or not I actually am, but I don't like the fact that as a rdirect esult of my mistake other people will have that perception. I could have done with a huge magic neon sign over my head that said "I can't believe I actually just did that. Sorry".
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby emesde » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Know what you mean , but the people who saw you will probably have much bigger issues to worry about ----and mistakes that dont end in injury / loss /damage are soon forgotten ,by others.
    Its your own ego that is dented :violent1: --Get over it , and dont be a naughty boy again . :occasion5:
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Next

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..