Riding the white line

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Riding the white line

Postby QuietOne » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Why oh why do some car/lorry/truck drivers insist in sitting on the white line both while driving and while stationary in a queue? :shock:

I've noticed this more over the past few weeks probably because I've been on my motorbike more often, but its not just a TT fortnight thing either. When I use my car, I notice it at the Braddan Bridge to Quaterbridge road... Drivers intending on turning right at the roundabout to go towards B&Q seem to think they need to be right on the white line just after the chevron section of road.... why!? The roundabout is several hundred yards down the road!

Not only does this prove a pain in the arse to bike riders, who are legally allowed to pass stationary traffic on the RHS, but in the event that an emergency vehicle needs to get past, they are just blocking the road and making it more difficult for a fire engine or ambulance to get past. Yes, I suppose they can just pull in to one side, but based on the lack of space they leave between themselves and the car in front of them, they can't go anywhere!!

Maybe they're just nosy and want to see whet the hold up is, get a life!!!! The hold up is due to the traffic, get used to it! How often do they use that road, every frickin' day probably.

A quick message to these drivers..... Stop being so inconsiderate, you are not the only drivers on the road! :evil:

Rant Over :D
    QuietOne

Re: Riding the white line

Postby gazza_ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:26 am

well you can use as much or as little of the road as you like, no law to say u cant, so stop wining and sit in traffic like the rest have to,
    cant see your problem part from you p-issed off u cant over take all the way down the stream of trafic, to which i say ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh didems ;)
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby Jay_VTR » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:56 am

Not gunna lie....when i was home for Mad sunday going to junctions like ballacraine n stuff turning right, quite away before that I was sat out there for that exact reason. Sod being bullied by aload of bikes who want to push there way in. And that was the advise from my dad when he went round with me. Road position gives everyone an idea of where your going in advance rather than gettin hemmed in by bikes surrounding you....
    Tom wrote:Loved it when i saw it the other day. By far one of the best saxos over here.
    Jay_VTR
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6

Postby man83g » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:36 pm

I sit in the middle of the road to annoy bikers, i mean why do you need to get to the front of the traffic before anyone else!! I for one wont be bullied by someone dressed as a power ranger on there motorbike. And im not sure about the legallity of a group of twenty bikers surrounding the first car at a junction, when they usually end up over the white lines and therefore on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!

Rant replied to....
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Postby _HENDO_ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:02 pm

As long as you don't go over the white line there's no problem. Your just showing your intentions of where your turning. Bikes should just overtake in the same way as cars. If nothings coming, go past, rather than overtake down the middle of the road regardless of whats coming!
    _HENDO_

Vehicle Make & Model: Renault Megane Coupé

Postby bougourd » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:59 pm

and sitting on or near the white line is nowhere near as annoying or illegal as the bikes that seem to think solid white lines through crosby and other places dont apply to them.
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:49 pm

I can proudly say i sit firmly on the white line. My reason is that during tt bikers are the number 1 cause of road accidents due to careless riding. Im pig sick to sh*t of waiting in a queue to get somewhere and when i get to the front some tosser on a bike cuts me off. Just to top it off it would mainly be MY fault if i were to hit him. WTF!
    Dont try to tell people to have some consideration when you are cutting them up in a queue.
    You also mention about fire trucks and other emergency vehicles trying to get past. so what happens if as an example a van is sitting on the white line and some biker is overtaking all the queue on the side of that van. where are the emergency vehicles to go there? are they to wait for this biker to try and squeeze in the queue what you said already has no space or do they have to wait even longer for him to get to the end of the line because they were so ignorant as to pass in the first place.
    Il tell you another thing whats annoying. Bikers overtaking you when they can clearly see that you are pulling out to overtake the car ahead.
    Back to the subject anyway. Whats the big necesity to get past the queue anyway? if you are in a rush. dont go endangering others. Another thing what pisses me off is the fact that when tools on bikes do such a thing and by some chance there is an accident; the whole road gets closed until it is cleaned up. The fire brigade, police AND paramedics are called out and for what? your own convenience. just cos you couldnt wait for a few minutes in a line.
    A quick question for everyone. How many people have seen bikers speeding through 30 limits during tt? Especially Douglas.
    PO-TA-TOESImage PO-TA-TOES
    Tom

Highscores: 4
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 8v
    Motoring Interests: Cruising 'n' that

Postby Jay_VTR » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I have a feeling this wasn't thre response he was expecting.....
    Tom wrote:Loved it when i saw it the other day. By far one of the best saxos over here.
    Jay_VTR
    Pro Member

Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6

Postby privatebill » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Tom wrote:A quick question for everyone. How many people have seen bikers speeding through 30 limits during tt? Especially Douglas.

not nearly as many as I see cars doing it, every. single. day.
    privatebill

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:37 pm

i wasnt asking about cars. i know they speed. i was on the subject of bikes.
    PO-TA-TOESImage PO-TA-TOES
    Tom

Highscores: 4
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 8v
    Motoring Interests: Cruising 'n' that

Next

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..