Vehicle size: Driver capability

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Vehicle size: Driver capability

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Ok call this a rant if you like but I live in ballasalla and I work in a petrol station. Every day since i have started working there or even just driving on the island in general it has came to my attention that so many people cant judge the width and length of their car.
    I have had so many experiences and close calls of people in oversized vehicles (4x4s, execs, people carriers) forcing their way through or just being completely oblivious to the fact that their hotel on wheels has almost smashed up the only good wing left on my car.
    It seems these days anyone who can afford a big car will just buy one regardless of whether they feel capable to drive it or not.
    So many times in my work i have heard people say things along the line of "oh, well i've never really been a comfortable driver. At least i should be ok seing as i drive something so big." It scares the hell out of me.
    I have to say I do find it amusing watching them trying to park but I can't help but feel sorry for them.
    I know its far fetched but it would be so comforting if the DOT introduced a follow-up driver scheme for people with all types of vehicles covering control in various conditions and parking (kinda like pass + i guess). The IOM driving test covers pretty much one version of parking; the reverse park. So when it comes to places like Chester Street inexperienced or nervous drivers just go into stress mode. I honestly don't think there is 1 pillar in that carpark without a paint scuff on it.
    Anyway rant over. I would very much be liking your opinions please.
    PO-TA-TOESImage PO-TA-TOES
    Tom

Highscores: 4
    Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 8v
    Motoring Interests: Cruising 'n' that

Re: Vehicle size: Driver capability

Postby Marshall » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:14 pm

I see what you're saying, come across drivers in the middle of the Tholty road all the time that don't give any space despite having 3+ft they could move over. It's all to do with spacial awareness, some people have it, others don't. I'm of the opinion: If you can't park it, you shouldn't have bought it. I still see the odd person struggling to park despite having these new-fangled fancy sensor things......
    Marshall
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 3
    Vehicle Make & Model: Westfield / Mk1 Golf
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2ltr 16v / 2ltr 16v

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Im still amazed watching them try to park on the prom. This whole parking on a slight angle idea seems to be a wall for most of them
    PO-TA-TOESImage PO-TA-TOES
    Tom

Highscores: 4
    Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 8v
    Motoring Interests: Cruising 'n' that

Postby gazza_ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 pm

to solve the problem of them in the middle of the road is you need to own the biggest one u can find they allways move over then ;)
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby man83g » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 pm

gazza_ wrote:to solve the problem of them in the middle of the road is you need to own the biggest one u can find they allways move over then ;)

Or get you to make them one of your special bull bars eh gazza!!!

I do agree though, its not hard to drive on your own side of the road but some people really seem to struggle. :banghead:
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Postby gazza_ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

man83g wrote:
    gazza_ wrote:to solve the problem of them in the middle of the road is you need to own the biggest one u can find they allways move over then ;)

Or get you to make them one of your special bull bars eh gazza!!!

have to say its vary affective at that
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby rx_sideways » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 pm

You get this in Oz and Africa - its called the "law of tonnage" - the biggest vehicle gets the right of way :D

You have a point Tom, but its also a bit of a sweeping generalisation; plenty of people in sh1tbox hatches are sh!te drivers too - its just that they don't have the sheet metal to make it too much of an issue. :scratch:
    It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
    rx_sideways

Highscores: 2

Postby Mallaby106 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Tesco car park is a belter, i saw a woman sat in an ax waiting for a space and a woman in a rover 75 tried to get past her but managed to scrape the rear drivers side corner. There should be a part of the driving test about pivot points.
    Mallaby's Dodgy Motors

Bodge it then Dodge it!
    Mallaby106
    Pro Member

Highscores: 1

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..