One Eyed Monsters

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Postby pcolvin00 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:37 pm

It's more of a rant than anything - most people have two cars in the household so they can check , make the decision to leave the car at home and take the other one and get a light on the way in / out or during work. I'm not saying i report everyone - just the ones that I see a week later with the same light out......
    [color=red]IAM[/color] Now A Fully Qualified National Observer
    I like a good blast over the Mountain but I also am someone who does Speed Limits!
    [color=blue]ManxYakker [/color]- Give Me A Rapid! NOW!
    pcolvin00
    IAM_Member

Postby =^..^= » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm pretty sure there was a fatality where a motorcyclist was wiped out by a car with no drivers side headlight or side lights...

Report them.
    =^..^=

Postby Sneak » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 pm

pcolvin00 wrote:It's more of a rant than anything - most people have two cars in the household so they can check , make the decision to leave the car at home and take the other one and get a light on the way in / out or during work. I'm not saying i report everyone - just the ones that I see a week later with the same light out......

Are you sad or what - get a life.

Do you report the people who don't use their headlights, aswell?
    Sneak

Postby emesde » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:13 pm

The number of cars with one or more lights not working (especially brake lights ) is higher now than I can ever remember . Surely there is a case for an annual check on the basics ,lights ,tyres,brakes. It doesn't have to be as involved as an MOT in the Uk but a basic safety check that ensures that at that time the important safety issues are in order . It drivers knew they were required to have such a test ,then they would at least check these items from time to time.
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby Mallaby106 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:20 pm

emesde wrote:The number of cars with one or more lights not working (especially brake lights ) is higher now than I can ever remember . Surely there is a case for an annual check on the basics ,lights ,tyres,brakes. It doesn't have to be as involved as an MOT in the Uk but a basic safety check that ensures that at that time the important safety issues are in order . It drivers knew they were required to have such a test ,then they would at least check these items from time to time.

Thats a brilliant idea
    Mallaby's Dodgy Motors

Bodge it then Dodge it!
    Mallaby106
    Pro Member

Highscores: 1

Postby Paul » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 am

hahaha, angry little sh*t :lol:

Just saying its a bit much reporting everybody with a head light out. I dare say when the individual in the control room hangs up the phone after being told about six cars with one headlight out, probably thinks WTF?! Nothing better to do?

One eyed monsters are annoying but f**k, behave yourself.
    If you fancy it
    Paul
    Extreme Member

Postby emesde » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:45 am

SpArX wrote:I've left my sidelights on driving along the prom before, but once I got to prt jack hill and it got darker I realised that it was just my sidelights. In my defence my dash was lit up ok lol :lol:

there is no requirement for headlights in a built up area with good lighting.
    Most prefer to use dipped headlights but the manx Highway code supplement says:-
    Use your vehicle's lights as follows-

*Use headlights at night if there is no street lighting ,or if there is insufficient lighting in the street to enable you to see any unlit vehicles and pedestrians that might be in the road ahead.
    *Use headlights when visability is seriously reduced ,including in rain.
    *Ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit at night to ensure that your vehicle can be seen by other road users.
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby SpArX » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am

Oh . . . My driving instructor said to always go straight to headlights whether there's street lighting or not.
    It was probably just a personal choice thing, I had no idea sidelights were ok.
    According to 118 118 it's not illegal to follow people while blowing kisses, a past time known commonly as stalking. However they cannot answer adult questions such as "what is the average diameter of the inside of a woman's vagina"
    SpArX
    Ultimate Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Astra Sport Estate
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.8 16v

Postby DD » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:13 am

:lol: this thread is funny......

Honestly though, I dont think ive ever tried to read the numberplate of a car coming the opposite direction in the pitch black on a road out of town. Surely that is dangerous? You cant concerntrate long enough on the numberplate AND look where you are going AND manage to write those numberplates down all at the same time as driving along? Unless you were sitting on the side of the road with a notepad waiting for people breaking the law to drive past so you could report them??
    Maybe it's because i'm a Douglaser
    That i love Douglas so
    That i think of her wherever i go

I get a funny feelin inside of me
    Just walkin up and down
    That I love Douglas town!
    DD
    Post Master

Postby Q » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:42 pm

DD wrote::Unless you were sitting on the side of the road with a notepad waiting for people breaking the law to drive past so you could report them??

It's the new trainspotting :lol:
    Q

Highscores: 2
    Vehicle Make & Model: Big red van

PreviousNext

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..