Road Safety Suggestions

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Postby emesde » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:33 am

Chaz we'll have to agree to differ on some points although I think like you that making good progress is important and is done by all good drivers. I agree that people that drive far too slow for the conditions are poor drivers but my point is that an "advanced driver"should have no difficulty in dealing with this situation in a routine , planned and calm way .

As far as the lessons issue is concerned -Iwould like to see a log book kept by driving instructors for each "pupil" and shown to the test examiner to prove that the candidate has had a certain number of professional lessons covering all aspects of driving. How often do you see a private car (not driving school car) with L plates on being driven by a total moron :evil: .One can only assume that the person driving so badly is actually teaching some one else to drive. I think we agree 100% on this one. :D
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby logic » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 am

SPEED LIMITS

what if u have to exceed the speed limit to pass some doddery old guy in his 80s on a straight road doing 15mph... that is a pee take that is and many people get frustrated sat behind these type of drivers..

I heard on the grape vine correct me if im wrong -if some one is doing that speed(20mph) in say a 40mph zone and u cum round the corner at 40mph and they doddering along at 20 and u crash into the back of them they can be done for dangerous driving...XLR* i tihkn i heard this from u so correct me if i have it slightly wrong..

but to me that is dangerous driving coz if we stick to the speed limits and they dnt and we crash into them, as cumming round a blind corner where u cant see further than the wheel lol we simply wudnt see him...
    I ALWAYS HAVE AN OPINION !!! :)
    logic
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby Pugguy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:57 am

Driving too slow can also be classed as dangerous driving yes.. (although rarley ever pursued).
    It also can be classed as 'Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users'... but yet again- how often do you see anyone taken to court for this?
    Personally I think someone driving over the mountain under 50mph without letting cars past is breaking this law, next time I will try report them & see what happenes lol.
    I reject your reality & substitute my own..

Pugguy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Highscores: 2
    Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Impreza P1
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 Turbo
    Motoring Interests: Rallying, Vehicle modifications, Performance

Postby emesde » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:12 am

I heard on the grape vine correct me if im wrong -if some one is doing that speed(20mph) in say a 40mph zone and u cum round the corner at 40mph and they doddering along at 20 and u crash into the back of them they can be done for dangerous driving...XLR* i tihkn i heard this from u so correct me if i have it slightly wrong..

If you go round a corner at 40 and crash into a car that is doing 20 then YOU are totally in the wrong and will be the one in court. What if there was a broken down car there doing 0mph you wouldn't want to crash into that. You are responsible for being able to stop before any hazard --and many slow motorists are Hazards- The Highway code says "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear."
    Slow drivers can be annoying but they have the same right to be on the road as you and dont forget the roads are for all road users not just people who think they are great drivers. :roll:
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:14 am

Edited!
    Last edited by Insane on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Insane
    Pro Member

Postby logic » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:17 am

emesde wrote:

If you go round a corner at 40 and crash into a car that is doing 20 then YOU are totally in the wrong and will be the one in court. What if there was a broken down car there doing 0mph you wouldn't want to crash into that. You are responsible for being able to stop before any hazard --and many slow motorists are Hazards- The Highway code says "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear."
    Slow drivers can be annoying but they have the same right to be on the road as you and dont forget the roads are for all road users not just people who think they are great drivers. :roll:

im not saying that that wud be a real life thing it was an example...if they have broken down on a blind corner shurley they shud be flagging sumone down for help to push the car to a safer place...so ther for they still in the wrong if they are sat in there car doing naff all...but as xlr8 said they can also be done for dangerous driving..i9m not going to get into a rant about it coz that wud be a waste of time... im simpoly getting my point accross that they can be a danger.(I wasnt talking about parked cars i was talikng about moving ones...)
    logic
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby emesde » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:18 am

Personally I think someone driving over the mountain under 50mph without letting cars past is breaking this law, next time I will try report them & see what happenes lol.

All goods vehicles and vans ,of any sort,even private vans on the IOM are restricted to 50mph ( 40mph if over 2 tonnes) All vehicles towing trailers of any sort are restricted to 30 mph Your going to have a massive phone bill if you report all these :roll:
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby logic » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:24 am

emesde wrote:

All goods vehicles and vans ,of any sort,even private vans on the IOM are restricted to 50mph ( 40mph if over 2 tonnes) All vehicles towing trailers of any sort are restricted to 30 mph Your going to have a massive phone bill if you report all these :roll:

but surley if restricted to 30mph they shudnt really be on the mountain road and most of the coast road is restricted to 30 or 50 mph so in which case we wudnt be exceeding and cudnt reall complain...
    but xlr8 is right they shud pull over if on the mountain road really it is derestricted and people dnt want to dodder along at 30moh that wud cause a huge tial back
    logic
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby Pugguy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:26 am

emesde wrote:

I think you missed my point- Im not saying that driving at 50 is a problem by any means- I drive a van & am too restricetd to 50, But from douglas to ramsey there are at least 10 convenient places to pull over & allow other vehicles to pass- If I see a car behind me wanting to pass but cant due to corners/on coming traffic I always pull over - surly this is common curtosy?
    I reject your reality & substitute my own..

Pugguy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Highscores: 2
    Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Impreza P1
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 Turbo
    Motoring Interests: Rallying, Vehicle modifications, Performance

Postby Geordie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:14 am

On advanced driver training you are taught the limit point and this is basically the point around the corner you can see, and you should be driving at a speed where this is always kept at the thinking and braking distance for your car and the conditions. If it gets closer to you, you need to slow down, if it gets away from you, then you can speed up to keep up with it.

This way, the problem of finding a car doing 20 in a 40, or even a broken down car infront of you, should never be a problem. Obviously, this is assuming the driver has had the training!

Basically it all comes back down to driver training!

Also, are you sure about the 30 limit for trailers? I always thought it was a 40 advisory limit, would like to know for definate.
    2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 550
    1993 Eunos Roadster V-Special 1.6i
    1998 Land Rover Defender 90 2.5 300Tdi
    2000 Volkswagen Passat B5 1.8 20v
    1997 Volkswagen Golf Mk3
    Geordie
    Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..