Driver education

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Driver education

Postby tree » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 pm

It is my firm opinion that the biggest single thing that can be done to improve road safety is to improve driver education.

If everyone on the roads were to be educated to a higher standard then there would be far fewer accidents.

Discuss..
    tree
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Postby Taggart » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:45 am

Very true, but it's hard to force people, and those that would come of their own accord would probably be the more safety conscious anyway.
    Taggart
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 7
    Vehicle Make & Model: Evo VIII
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1997

Postby Insane » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:11 am

There's no scientific or statistical evidence that increased/extended driver training or education will reduce accidents, insurance payouts, and/or injuries on the road.

imo, most are related to driver awareness of the conditions, which is not surprising, as a Ford Focus with remoulds wont give any feedback and are incapable of producing a G-Force, another factos to consider is the poor build quality of the roads around here, unless your suspension was developed in a quarry , your going to have troubles!
    Insane
    Pro Member

Postby tree » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 am

But surely driver education cna be no bad thing. Even if they didnt always sue the skills they would be tehre and i mena who would wnat to crash!? looking 1 extra direction at a roundabout could save you from smashing your car. who would wnat to damange their vehicle. no one.

Part of advanced driving training is driver awareness and how to react to situations. look at people who see soemthing and think oh i must stop slam on the brakes and lcok up the car. a more experienced driver wouold apply the brakes so as to not lock up the vehicle but to stop in the shortest controlleddistanmce possible.
    tree
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Postby emesde » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:03 pm

There is plenty of statistical information that proves that Advanced driver Training reduces accidents and deaths .It may well not reduce insurance payouts because of the way modern cars are manufactured --with safety in mind --and they cost a lot to repair --People who have passed an IAM test are approx 40% less likely to be involved in accidents. They are better drivers and make the roads safer for all. Safer driving is about driver Training Not about G forces and remoulds on your Focus :twisted:
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby emesde » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:45 pm

For anyone wanting to improve their driving and and wear the "Institute of Advanced Motorists " badge the link is http://www.iam.org.uk/
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby Derek Flint » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Education, hearts and minds, and the majority not putting up with the minority!
    the artist formerly known as Colossus of Roads
    Derek Flint

Postby DD » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:20 am

No need for me to take an advanced drivers test, I am already an excellent driver :lol: most of it surely is just common sense anyway, be aware of other drivers and what they are doing, make sure you look ahead when you are driving, not just at the car in front so that you know what is happening in advance, if you go round a corner and feel the back end going dont slam your foot down on the brakes etc...... i would definately do it though if it were free, i never have any spare money.
    Maybe it's because i'm a Douglaser
    That i love Douglas so
    That i think of her wherever i go

I get a funny feelin inside of me
    Just walkin up and down
    That I love Douglas town!
    DD
    Post Master

Postby pcolvin00 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:29 pm

I can say have done the IAM course and recommend it to anyone. Whatever the car, however good they think they are..... You will benefit. Maybe cut down on road deaths and accidents if more people did it.......
    [color=red]IAM[/color] Now A Fully Qualified National Observer
    I like a good blast over the Mountain but I also am someone who does Speed Limits!
    [color=blue]ManxYakker [/color]- Give Me A Rapid! NOW!
    pcolvin00
    IAM_Member

Postby DaveM » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:45 pm

tree wrote:If everyone on the roads were to be educated to a higher standard then there would be far fewer accidents.

hear hear :thumbright:
    I consider myself to be a fair driver, certainly no expert. But I have to agree 100% with tree here.

If the standard driving test was to be made more comprehensive and generally harder then the overall standard of driving on the road would surely raise.

xbones wrote:and those that would come of their own accord would probably be the more safety conscious anyway.

Again a good thing I feel, if only the more safety consious applied for lessons and licence then again the standard of driving would most likely raise.
    DaveM
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Next

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..