Driver education

Seen a bad driver? Got any road safety ideas? Let us know in here!
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Postby Nitro » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:41 am

iomgto wrote:But if you haven never been is a high performance car before something that was built for this then i can see why your so against it! honest i can. But drive something that can do this with EASE and we are not talking about big run up 4 or 5th gear and really trying to hit high speed were talking about 3 gear and just driving to our abilities not trying to "see how fast you can go!" i wouldnt push the car any faster than what i feel comfortable with even thou the car is capable of more! not bragging or anything like that.

I've never said you car couldn't handle 140mph, but can you as a driver safely control the car at 140mph?, what if something did go wrong, a blowout for example, would you still manage to wrestle control?

iomgto wrote:On a empty single stretch of road no entrances or traffic why not plus its legal. Its not like we can go on to the motor in the uk and do this.

We are very very luck we can do this! Hense the island is a Wonderful place.

Do you treat an unrestricted road as a invitation to go fast as you/the car can handle?, i've seen many unrestricted roads around the island where anything more than 40-50mph would be dangerous. unrestricted means "drive to a suitable speed for the conditions", most people treat them like "accelerate at full blast now as it must be safe as it has a unrestricted sign"......

I don't really like the island for its road network either, many people treat the mountain like its a private race course, you do 50mph in a car and you get some strange looks, but they don't think who might be in the car or how comfortable the driver feels with going any faster.

I've sort of done this discussion to death now, but I can never see me turning around and saying "yeah, 140mph is safe on the islands roads", the same as you won't say "yeah, 140mph is too fast for island roads"......

I'll just hope nobody ever gets mixed up in the carnage that could happen at those speeds.[/quote]
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 2

Postby iomgto » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 am

Nitro wrote:
    iomgto wrote:But if you haven never been is a high performance car before something that was built for this then i can see why your so against it! honest i can. But drive something that can do this with EASE and we are not talking about big run up 4 or 5th gear and really trying to hit high speed were talking about 3 gear and just driving to our abilities not trying to "see how fast you can go!" i wouldnt push the car any faster than what i feel comfortable with even thou the car is capable of more! not bragging or anything like that.

I've never said you car couldn't handle 140mph, but can you as a driver safely control the car at 140mph?, what if something did go wrong, a blowout for example, would you still manage to wrestle control?

Steps are taken so this doesn't happen i dont pay Ă‚ÂŁ150 a tyre for no reason! all in the mind of safety. Cars checked over weekly or prior to a good run. also double checked over by a proffesional garage.

iomgto wrote:On a empty single stretch of road no entrances or traffic why not plus its legal. Its not like we can go on to the motor in the uk and do this.

We are very very luck we can do this! Hense the island is a Wonderful place.

Nitro wrote:Do you treat an unrestricted road as a invitation to go fast as you/the car can handle?, i've seen many unrestricted roads around the island where anything more than 40-50mph would be dangerous. unrestricted means "drive to a suitable speed for the conditions", most people treat them like "accelerate at full blast now as it must be safe as it has a unrestricted sign"......

I don't really like the island for its road network either, many people treat the mountain like its a private race course, you do 50mph in a car and you get some strange looks, but they don't think who might be in the car or how comfortable the driver feels with going any faster.

I've sort of done this discussion to death now, but I can never see me turning around and saying "yeah, 140mph is safe on the islands roads", the same as you won't say "yeah, 140mph is too fast for island roads"......

I'll just hope nobody ever gets mixed up in the carnage that could happen at those speeds.

agree with you theres no point arguing this fact, all i'm saying is it can be safe if the correct precautions are taken! yes it can be deadly also. like flying a plane / crossing the road or even watching the TT races as a spectator but precautions are taken by law and owners.
    iomgto
    Pro Member

Postby Sarah172 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Nitro wrote:Now to me, 100mph-140mph on a motorway isn't that big a deal (when its clear like in the early morning), obviously if the road condition/weather conditions allow, Its basically a clear straight road, you've got 3-4 empty lanes, no oncoming traffic next to your lane and if the worst was to happen you'd hit a crash barrier which takes a huge amount of the impact, so you only really impact on yourself.

On the mountain, if you lose control you don't get many chances, you either get a grass bank/a steep drop onto 2 very thin fences or an oncoming car.

It worries me that people actually do 140mph around the islands roads, but there is naff all I can actually do about it, so perhaps I should always drive via Laxey way?, its starting to appeal more anyway, but I bet people still hit 100mph just before that bit coming down into the Ramsey climb.

i feel ur being a bit contracdictive here.

at the end of the day you are NEVER completely safe at 140 mph whether it being on a motorway or over here.

if you crash on a motorway at 140 mph hit something then get thrown from ur car ur fu***D. just as much as over here.

but in all seriousness when do you regularly see car doing 140 mph.

i myself find nower days i travel no faster than 50-60 mph nower days as there is always traffic about.

and btw i dont know anyone that sees a No limit sign does stupid speeds straight after it. yes i see cars putting there foot down going out of the zones but not thinking i can do wot ever speed i want here coz theres no speed limit.
    Sarah172
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Pug 306 D Turbo
    Motoring Interests: Photography & motorsport

Postby Nitro » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:29 pm

Sarah172 wrote:i feel ur being a bit contracdictive here.

at the end of the day you are NEVER completely safe at 140 mph whether it being on a motorway or over here.

if you crash on a motorway at 140 mph hit something then get thrown from ur car ur F**K. just as much as over here.

I'd still much rather crash at high speed on an empty motorway than the mountain road!

It looks like i'm contradicting myself, but I was actually meaning compared to the 2, driving at high speed on an empty motorway is a hell of a lot safer than driving on the mountain road at the same speed......
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby Stu Peters » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Driving style depends on mood - sometimes I enjoy nothing better than a lollop along at 60-80mph (where it's allowed) other times I feel the need for speed and go for an early hoon over the mountain.

IMHO, as long as you're in full control and concentrating 100% on what you're doing, speed is often only a component in an accident and not a causitive factor. And accidents will ALWAYS happen.

Sure, an 'off' at 140mph is going to do more than scratch your paint - but so is someone coming at you on the wrong side of the road when you're only doing 60mph. But I'm a fatalist - I reckon when that invisible barcode on our heads is scanned, we've reached our 'best before' date. The skill is in not taking any innocents with us.

Sarah - why bother with such a hot hatch if you never exceed 60mph?? Wouldn't you be better pimping something more economical and cheaper to insure?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: “Wow, what a ride!!”
    Stu Peters

Postby Nitro » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:49 pm

Stu Peters wrote:Sarah - why bother with such a hot hatch if you never exceed 60mph?? Wouldn't you be better pimping something more economical and cheaper to insure?

Perhaps its the 0-60 thrill, the shape/style of the car?, many people own nice cars and seem to rarely go over 50mph!!

Stu Peters wrote:But I'm a fatalist - I reckon when that invisible barcode on our heads is scanned, we've reached our 'best before' date. The skill is in not taking any innocents with us.

But unfortunately you can't always predict whats going to happen next, if you could, you wouldn't ever crash........
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby Sarah172 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:12 am

Stu Peters wrote:Sarah - why bother with such a hot hatch if you never exceed 60mph?? Wouldn't you be better pimping something more economical and cheaper to insure?

the other half uses the car to the full and behond!!!!! lol

economically it can do 40 mpg pottering under 60 and insurance aint that bad as me and my other half are getting old!!! lol
    Sarah172
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Pug 306 D Turbo
    Motoring Interests: Photography & motorsport

Previous

Return to IOM Bad drivers & Road Safety..