Converting Zetec S to throttle bodies?

Engines, Gearboxes, Exhausts & Performance upgrades
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: Converting Zetec S to throttle bodies?

Postby steeldonkey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am

Carbs are a pain in the arse and will likely just run rich, i wouldn't even consider it, Not to mention it will be expensive.

you can change the gearing by:

Chaninging the initial ratio's (swapping the box)
    Changing the final drive (in your case swapping the box or the crownwheel on the differential within the box)
    Fitting smaller wheels/lower profile tyres

The greater the reduction the greater the in gear acceleration and the corresponding reducton in top speed (in some cases 0-60 can rise slightly as you may need an additional shift but in gear will always be quicker)

Obviously the other way to go faster for even less money is to drive the the tip with a tool kit and bin the interior.
    steeldonkey

Re: Converting Zetec S to throttle bodies?

Postby JayJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Carburetors? I've never looked in to fitting them, but they seem a real step backwards and it would take a lot of work. Fuel injection is more efficient and reliable. I wouldn't see the point in convering a fuel injection car to carbs.

*steeldonkey beat me to it. What he said! If you want to go down the route of changing the gearbox there should be a list somewhere of all the boxes that'll fit and what their ratios are.
    JayJay

Postby bougourd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm

i see a score1_uk on zsoc, i thought u were local or have u not manx tested the car yet?
    decent air filter
    powerflex bush kit (oc motorsport do a very reasonable set made up of powerflex and ford racing puma bits)
    mondeo/focus st 170 300mm front brake set up
    4-2-1 manifold and exhaust (i got a sportex one off ebay as didnt see the point blowing nearly a grand on a miltek just cos thats what other people do. a mild steel system will last as long as u have the car probs so stainless is a waste of money tbh)
    piper ss4 cams (oc motorsport again are good for these)
    suspension and wheels really depend on what u use the car for. coilovers are great for making the car look good and on smooth roads handle amazingly but u might prefer a decent shock/spring set (gmax or similar) if ur less bothered about dropping it on its bum and dont want to crash around town and get stuck on speedbumps. wheels again id keep the standards or get some lightweight 15"s if u want a nippy fun car, cossies etc and stretched tyres are only good for looking nice, not handling 'like a go-kart' (PEOPLE WHO USE THAT PHRASE HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A DECENT KART :wink: GO-KARTS ARE WHAT KIDS MAKE OUT OF WOOD WITH PLATES FOR WHEELS AND ROPE FOR THE STEERING LOL)

if you are of course after a lot more power, rather than converting to throttle bodies or puma engines (yawn) for a similar cost to ITB's u cud do a 2.0 duratec conversion (fiesta st engine) which is a much more tuneable engine than the 1.6 zetec se. ive seen supercharged ones close to the 400bhp mark :D
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Postby score1_uk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah thats me, am local and car has now been tested. All im looking to do for now is just to get a leg up on most other 1.6l motors :) Nothing to heavy but something that can be added to in the future when I get a bit board (or rather the missus gets board as it will be her car next year). The car already has coilovers and a new backbox fitted, along with front upper and lower strut bars and all new bushs (stock though not poly). I think a 300mm disc conversion would be great but keep getting different info on if they fit behind the stock wheels.
    score1_uk
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Elise S1, Fiesta ZS
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.8l, 1.6l

Postby steeldonkey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 pm

in all honesty i wouldn'y bother fitting bigger discs right now, larger discs only really help if you have larger stickier tyres. upsizing the discs increases the leverage on the disk but the braking force on the road is governed by the tyre.

I would just put some better pads in ebc yellow are good (when up to temp) perfomance friction z rated are not bad, ferodo ds2500's etc etc.
    steeldonkey

Postby JayJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm

^ that's just what I was going to say. When you increase the stopping power of the brakes, you'll most likely need larger (wider) tyres to increase the amount of tyre surface on the road. Too little and if the brakes are too powerful the wheels will just lock up. I know a few people who have fitted HiSpec brakes (http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/) and even with larger wheels they still lock up if braking too hard!
    JayJay

Postby bougourd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 pm

big g on zsoc has a jig made from a zs alloy cut in half that he used to grind down the calipers so they squeeze under the wheels as mark has on his zs.

if ur just after a bit more power than yeah exhaust & ss4 cams would be the route id advise.
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Previous

Return to Engine & Exhaust Etc