New ECU remapping on the island

Engines, Gearboxes, Exhausts & Performance upgrades
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: New ECU remapping on the island

Postby gazza_ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:58 pm

no its fine cret.

Im glad it worked well for you, and i know just the man to call when i have a TD5 in.
    Is it just for the TD5 or will it do all of them in that age range, like the range rover etc.

Re Mapped my first golf today.
    a 140tdi
    puts it at about 175bhp now.
    And my o my what a diffrence it has made, in 3rd it will put you back in the seat under hard driving even i was amazed,
    and around down it will drive round in 5th at 30mph at 1200 rpm, u dont have to change gear.

I want to buy a golf, smiles for miles :compress:
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Re: New ECU remapping on the island

Postby Seren Arian » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:10 am

Hi Gazza,
    How does the re-mapping affect the warranty, or are you best waiting for that to expire first?

I've got a year to go before the 3 years is up on my car, and once that happens, I may start tinkering with it, change of wheels and perhaps some other unseen & subtle changes.

Mines only the baby 105PS rated VAG 1.9TDi PD motor, which as standard, it has to be said, is swift & torquey enough, but it'd be nice to have a bit more under the bonnet to play with!

I would have gone for a 140PS, but the difference in price was quite a lot, so I thought I'd bide my time and see what could be done later on. I always vowed I'd never drive a diesel, but I've had two, and now I'd never go back to petrol again, modern diesels are ace to drive.

Regards, Seren Arian.
    Seren Arian

Postby ///AMG MERCINATOR » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 am

gazza_ wrote:no its fine cret.

Im glad it worked well for you, and i know just the man to call when i have a TD5 in.
    Is it just for the TD5 or will it do all of them in that age range, like the range rover etc.

Re Mapped my first golf today.
    a 140tdi
    puts it at about 175bhp now.
    And my o my what a diffrence it has made, in 3rd it will put you back in the seat under hard driving even i was amazed,
    and around down it will drive round in 5th at 30mph at 1200 rpm, u dont have to change gear.

I want to buy a golf, smiles for miles :compress:

My mates dad has an Mercedes-Benz (W210) 2001 E320 CDi, that got re-mapped to like 300 bhp & 500 torques, that thing was pretty fast! to say the least, :thumbright: to re-mapping.
    Amazingly he got slightly better fuel economy too!
    RE-MAPPING RULES!
    ------------------------------
    ///THE MERCINATOR WAY///
    ------------------------------
    96 Vauxhall Calibra (Eco Tec) 2.0 16v _67k_, - Sold.
    94 Mercedes-Benz C200 (Dohc) Auto _98k_, - complicated lol.
    90 Mercedes-Benz 230Te (Dohc) 5-speed Manual :P _180k_ - all mine!
    RWD, Disconnected Abs and Tc = Fun!
    ///AMG MERCINATOR
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Mercedes-Benz 230TE
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.3, 4cyl
    Motoring Interests: Anything Quick & fun.

Postby gazza_ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Seren Arian wrote:Hi Gazza,
    How does the re-mapping affect the warranty, or are you best waiting for that to expire first?

I've got a year to go before the 3 years is up on my car, and once that happens, I may start tinkering with it, change of wheels and perhaps some other unseen & subtle changes.

Mines only the baby 105PS rated VAG 1.9TDi PD motor, which as standard, it has to be said, is swift & torquey enough, but it'd be nice to have a bit more under the bonnet to play with!

I would have gone for a 140PS, but the difference in price was quite a lot, so I thought I'd bide my time and see what could be done later on. I always vowed I'd never drive a diesel, but I've had two, and now I'd never go back to petrol again, modern diesels are ace to drive.

Regards, Seren Arian.

Hi
    sorry seren diden see your post till now. so sorry for the delay

the warranty is a vary iffy area, And at the end of the day it really boils down how much cash you have to fight the company in courts.
    By law they should not be able to stop a warranty claim because of a re-map but they can and will, and that is the bottem line of it,
    So in the end its prob cheaper to just pay the bill than going to court, and the company knows this so they have the upper hand.

So in respect of warrantys you are best to leave till its out of it.
    But saying that garages over here should not be able to find the map with the gear they have, The VAG group have a ECU count on it but that can be worked round. The only way they can is to send all the data away which means haveing the device to read it all and send it to the HQ which will then be able to tell.

But any garage will know something is diffrent when they drive it to be fair its that noticable next to a standed car.

The other thing is, if there is a lot of ECU updates for models where the garage have to update the ECU over the warranty time then the map will be reset to the standed map they have just put back on, The old MOD can be put back on but will reset the ECU back to b4 the updates were added,
    so slight problem with that. as the only way to keep the updated ECU would be to read that file and have it mod again.

So on its last service b4 it comes out of warrenty best to make sure that any ECU updates have been done if there was any for that model,
    But with that car being made from 04 onwards any ECU updates would have been cairred out on the 04 cars and all the bugs etc sorted on the 05 onwards cars etc.

bottem line is its up to yourself if you take the chance etc.
    Hope that answers that for you. i prob said more than most dealers would but i would rather be stright with ppl from the start.

on your model we can boost it up to
    135bhp and raise the Torque from 250 to about 310NM.

hope thats of some help to all that is reading
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby Seren Arian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Cheers gazza, much appreciated. I'll mull this over and see what I think is best. I usually change my car when it gets to 3 years old and just about to drop out of warranty, mainly to avoid the trade-in value getting too low and having a big leap up to the price of a new one, but the current motor is going to have to stay employed for a little while longer yet. I've got the best part of a year to wait anyway, so no mad rush. I've no real complaint with existing performance, it's not under-powered, it's torquey, rapid and drives nice, and I'm not looking for top speed, just more bottom end grunt to safely get past the 30mph numpty brigade that plague the Mountain Road from time to time. I'm no "ton up" merchant, I just want a little something more to put a silly smile on my face occasionally!
    Regards, Seren Arian.
    Seren Arian

Postby gazza_ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 pm

O it will put a silly smile on your face all right :)

Its not just about the power,
    the whole car will have more go in it across the range, where b4 you might have had to knock it down a gear you wont have to after its done.
    Gives a lot of low and middle grunt and just a lot smoother over the whole range.
    you find you would prob drive round in a higher gear than you normaly would, plus the extra 6-8mpg you would be getting.

Other way round the warrenty issue is if there is a problem with a the car and it has to go back for dealer work is we can write your old file back on while its in the garage,
    not a perfect thing but one way round it.

Hoping in the next couple of months to vist a few of the local dealers to see if we can work round the problem over re-maps and see if we can work something out
    with them over cars having re-maps on them
    As really it is up to the dealers if they tell HQ back in the UK.

Need to do some more work on the paper work first to make sure its put in a good light to make them see that its not all witch magic.
    while there will never be anything wrttien on paper if i know a certian brand over here does not mind that make having re-maps then i can re sure the owners of them cars that there will be no problem with it going back to the dealer.
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby gazza_ » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Done my first car that runs on Bio fuel today,
    works just as well on them which is good.
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby gazza_ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Just a little up date as i have been quite busy of late.

Re-mapped 10 cars as of date. Which is not the most in the world but these things take time to build up, and im quite happy with that amount.

I have to say there has not been any problems what so ever with the remapping (yes i would say that) but anyone that knows me will know im not one to bend the truth.

All the cars are reporting increased MPG which is a good thing.

And 2 new cars have been back to the dealers 1 for just a service and 1 for some warranty work to be carried out.
    No problems with them having a remap on them, all went ok and they never picked up on it, which i would not expect them to do.

And have 3 audis to do all the same day in the next month so should be good.

cheers
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Previous

Return to Engine & Exhaust Etc