Gravel Watch ??

Chat about anything to do with Motoring.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Gravel Watch ??

Postby =^..^= » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 am

With the onset of the annual carpet bombing of our roads - sorry, chipping... Is anyone interested in posting up which roads have been gravelled.

There is nothing worse than heading out on the nice shiny clean blackbird, heading for a cuppa somwhere and finding 1/2 a mile of fresh knee deep chippings every other mile.

A quick look in the thread before you head out should show where to avoid if you want to avoid stones chips etc.

One which was chipped last week was a 100 yard stretch of the road from Ballasalla to Ballabeg south of cross four ways.

Ones which are going to be done shortly are The Brown cow in Santon (the hill with the three lanes on it) and the top of fishers hill south of castletown heading for Port Erin.
    =^..^=

Re: Gravel Watch ??

Postby manxrav » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:39 am

Excellent idea, knew about the one after Ballabeg,(seems to have settled abit now) but didn,t know about the one near Castletown, Good call!!!!!. The biggest problem you have is dealing with the Stone-chips when they,ve happened,none of the "Chip experts" want to know about repairing them. I,ve just bought a Chipex kit and am going to give it ago.
    YNWA
    manxrav
    Novice User

Postby V » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Havent they done hillbury?
    V
    Novice User

Vehicle Make & Model: Civic ek9
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6 b16b
    Motoring Interests: Technique and Control

Postby merryknees » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 am

Begoede road Onchan from its junction with Whitebridge road fresh monday 4 July
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!â€Â
    merryknees

Vehicle Make & Model: 1941 Willys Coupe
    Vehicle Engine Size: Supercharged 7500cc

Postby JayJay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:43 am

We've been wondering just what the reason for chipping is? I've had a load of sharp *CRACKS* of stones hitting the windscreen from cars quite a distance in front of me, my cars got enough stone chips on it already thanks!
    JayJay

Postby _HENDO_ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Alpine corner to ballaugh & also a short bit just before barrgarrow heading towards kirk micheal & then coming into kirk micheal itself. They've settled down a bit though.
    _HENDO_

Vehicle Make & Model: Renault Megane Coupé

Postby merryknees » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 am

Fresh 7 July Baldrine village
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!â€Â
    merryknees

Vehicle Make & Model: 1941 Willys Coupe
    Vehicle Engine Size: Supercharged 7500cc

Postby Jay_VTR » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm

they are about to do fishers hill... The signs have been out a while but no actual chipping yet! Watch me get caught out tomorrow!
    Tom wrote:Loved it when i saw it the other day. By far one of the best saxos over here.
    Jay_VTR
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6

Postby bougourd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:35 pm

why do they do this?

i pay my road tax so in return i expect roads of a good standard. dont see why i should have to pay road tax and then pay to get stone chips/cracked windscreens sorted on top of that as well as avoiding pot holes and driving on roads that should have been resurfaced years ago!!!!!!

then you hear about money spent on richmond hill and roundabout at bottom of colby etc and see roads like archallagan getting silverstone spec tarmac. the DOT or whatever its called nowadays needs a good kick up the arse
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Postby =^..^= » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:06 am

Old castletown road betweeen the nunnery and Sims electical. Four or five fairly big stretches. Looks like they did it on mon 11th.
    =^..^=

Next

Return to General Motoring Chat