Richmond Hill Revamp

Chat about anything to do with Motoring.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Richmond Hill Revamp

Postby dermers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:27 pm

According to Manx Radio News today, Richmond Hill is set to benefit from a proposed £3million revamp, which I believe involves a compulsary land purchase and straightening out the bend.
    My question is this: Is this money well spent? Despite the50mph speed limit, this road still seems to retain the title of the Islands most dangerous road. I know people have been killed on this road, but is this a fault of the road itself? or just excessive speed?

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=42025
    dermers

Vehicle Make & Model: Ford Transit
    Vehicle Engine Size: big enough.

Re: Richmond Hill Revamp

Postby Zaphod » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:42 pm

I reckon they could raise the necessaries by installing a speed camera on the hill and then straighten it out if it needed it!
    IAM Member
    Zaphod

Vehicle Make & Model: Impreza WRX PPP

Postby pcolvin00 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:31 pm

I reckon it doesn't need the road sorting out... Just the drivers....

All too often you see people doing 80/90/100 going up there and trying to do the same down... Speed cameras pointing both ways up and down at the very top after the corner, up and down on the 3 lane bit and cameras both up and down by Farmers....

I knwo it's 6 cameras but people seem to treat it like a race course and if you've ever tried to turn right into the Horse place you'll know it's not fun!
    [color=red]IAM[/color] Now A Fully Qualified National Observer
    I like a good blast over the Mountain but I also am someone who does Speed Limits!
    [color=blue]ManxYakker [/color]- Give Me A Rapid! NOW!
    pcolvin00
    IAM_Member

Postby The Mofo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Wow that's incredible, the island is going to be in serious financial trouble and all this government can do is waste money when there are other solutions available, what a bunch of muppets.
    The Mofo

Postby gazza_ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:09 pm

To be honest Pcolvin you got to be off your head if you try and stop and turn right into the horse place going up. and really i dont think you should and anyone doing it should be banned.
    Its a lot safer to go up the road turn round and come back down and turn off heading down the hill
    gazza_
    Pro Member

Postby tree » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:08 pm

I think its a huge waste of money. It is the drivers that need sorting not the road. having a straighter road will just encourage drivers to go quicker!
    Quocunque jeceris stabit
    tree
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Postby emesde » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm

There is nothing inherantly wrong with this road . It is purely bad driving that causes the problems and the biggest problem is one of driving too fast. I have frequently been travelling quite safely at the spped limit of 50 mph in a line of vehicles when some clown decides that he will try and overtake everything before the road narrows at the top of the hill. Usually he finds he has to cut someone up to get back in and causes several vehicles to brake hard to avoid accidents . One or two cameras for the southbound drivers would stop this more effectively than the millions proposed. As has been said before, straightening the road and making it "Safer" will in my view just cause drivers to go even faster . But hey ho some members of the government think there is no recession and unlimited funds.
    emesde
    IAM Member
    IAM Member

Postby ///AMG MERCINATOR » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Haha, Its a hill.
    The eeason crashes happen is because some people can not gear a car properly!
    Put the gas down on the approach slot her into 4th or 5th & 110- 120 is easily achieved
    Making the road straight is stupid!
    People with crappy FWD cars will be like "Yay!", but for the people with real cars its just fustrating!
    That bend is good KEEP IT!
    ------------------------------
    ///THE MERCINATOR WAY///
    96 Vauxhall Calibra (Eco Tec) 2.0 16v _67k_, - Sold.
    94 Mercedes-Benz C200 (Dohc) Auto _98k_, - complicated lol.
    90 Mercedes-Benz 230Te (Dohc) 5-speed Manual :P _180k_ - all mine!
    RWD, Disconnected Abs and Tc = Fun!
    ///AMG MERCINATOR
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Mercedes-Benz 230TE
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.3, 4cyl
    Motoring Interests: Anything Quick & fun.

Postby Cret » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:57 am

I'm sure that going 110-120 in a 50 zone known for accidents is not really the best means of handling that bit of road.

But yes, you're right that making the road straight is a waste of money that can ill afford to be wasted.
    As other's have said, there's nothing at all wrong with the road, just people using it inappropriately, same as most other roads.

This has been on the cards for ages but they've only really started making noise about it fairly recently.
    If you go into the sea terminal where the little DoT office is, there's a plan on the wall.
    It even appears to have the landowner names on it and I'm sure they shouldn't really be displaying that info in public...
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby ///AMG MERCINATOR » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Cret wrote:I'm sure that going 110-120 in a 50 zone known for accidents is not really the best means of handling that bit of road.

But yes, you're right that making the road straight is a waste of money that can ill afford to be wasted.
    As other's have said, there's nothing at all wrong with the road, just people using it inappropriately, same as most other roads.

This has been on the cards for ages but they've only really started making noise about it fairly recently.
    If you go into the sea terminal where the little DoT office is, there's a plan on the wall.
    It even appears to have the landowner names on it and I'm sure they shouldn't really be displaying that info in public...

Haha, but you see i put 110-120 , but didnt put mph or Kmh Haha!
    I was meaning Kmh.
    ///THE MERCINATOR WAY///
    96 Vauxhall Calibra (Eco Tec) 2.0 16v _67k_, - Sold.
    94 Mercedes-Benz C200 (Dohc) Auto _98k_, - complicated lol.
    90 Mercedes-Benz 230Te (Dohc) 5-speed Manual :P _180k_ - all mine!
    RWD, Disconnected Abs and Tc = Fun!
    ///AMG MERCINATOR
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Mercedes-Benz 230TE
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.3, 4cyl
    Motoring Interests: Anything Quick & fun.

Next

Return to General Motoring Chat