r plates

Chat about anything to do with Motoring.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Postby Nitro » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:58 pm

As said its the date on your licence, pretty crap I know, as you could hold you licence for a year before even driving!

I've currently done 5,000 miles, done motorway driving over 1000 miles (at 60-70mph), driven in other UK towns/cities at least another 200 miles, yet i'm still restricted to 50mph when on the island, despite the fact someone can pass, get a licence, leave it sat in their draw for 12months, buy a car and have no R plates. :?

Is a bit puzzling but its a system designed to weed out the idiots I suppose (which I'd like), however i'd prefer no R plates, the ones who get bollocked by police have to display them (as "retard" punishment), the ones who think its a good idea (the first month warns other people you're still learning) display P plates, *simples*.

However owning a car isn't all its cracked upto be, sure the freedom is nice, but it comes to quite an expense, the car itself, tax, insurance, petrol and maintenance.

I wish i'd waited a year, got a nice car, cheaper insurance and no poxy R plates! (R plates that i've replaced 3 times as they don't peel off very well when i'm across in England and then have to put back on again!).
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Highscores: 2

Postby Geordie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:05 am

Nitro wrote:done motorway driving over 1000 miles (at 60-70mph),

I thought that was common procedure for most R platers over here? Only change 'motorway' with 'mountain road'...?
    2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 550
    1993 Eunos Roadster V-Special 1.6i
    1998 Land Rover Defender 90 2.5 300Tdi
    2000 Volkswagen Passat B5 1.8 20v
    1997 Volkswagen Golf Mk3
    Geordie
    Advanced Member

Postby Nitro » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:54 am

Geordie wrote:
    Nitro wrote:done motorway driving over 1000 miles (at 60-70mph),

I thought that was common procedure for most R platers over here? Only change 'motorway' with 'mountain road'...?

However doing 70mph on a motorway is legal, 70mph on R plates on the mountain road isn't...
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby Devboy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 pm

It will also state on the paper bit of your License.
    Devboy
    Pro Member

Postby Girl89 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Didn't you get told when you passed?

I passed in May and changed my license immediately!
    Girl89
    Advanced Member

Postby Devboy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:10 am

IIRC its illegal to still drive on a prov, u need to have submitted the forms! to drive.
    Devboy
    Pro Member

Postby Necronomicon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:34 pm

Yup, as soon as you pass your driving test, your provisional licence is now invalid as you are not a provisional driver.

If I was in charge, I would make it law that new drivers had to drive a diesel for their first year ;)
    Necronomicon

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Car Manufacturers don't help the fact that young R platers crash quite a lot!!

High cars with sh*t suspension and skinny little tyres, they should make things like Integra's with 1.4's!! They would never crash the things!! :lol:
    If you fancy it
    Paul
    Extreme Member

Postby Nitro » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:46 am

Paul wrote:Car Manufacturers don't help the fact that young R platers crash quite a lot!!

High cars with sh*t suspension and skinny little tyres, they should make things like Integra's with 1.4's!! They would never crash the things!! :lol:

Tell me about it, I hammered insurance quotes out for cars all shapes and sizes, Basically the smallest deathtrap you can afford (saxo's, 106's, fiesta's, Metro's, corsas...etc.) was the cheapest..

However the difference between insurance on a matchbox and a having a half decent car was that much (this in my case was a choice of a 51 plate Astra, a P plate A3 or a V plate A4), The astra was only about 200 extra over a saxo and the Audi's were £300 more(1.6 in the A3, 1.8 in the A4).

In the end I went for a matchbox, as I was given the old "you'll crash in your first year, get a sh*t car", Well currently i've had one near miss (car pulling out of a minor road, onto the major road I was travelling down, due to the stupid bitch not checking her right).
    Nitro
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Previous

Return to General Motoring Chat