Speedbumps

Chat about anything happening in the Isle of Man
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Are speed bumps excessively high / harsh?

Yes
    96%
    No
    4%

Total votes : 25

Postby Trixie » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Speed humps - probably sponsored by Hagon shock absorbers...
    Innit
    Trixie

Postby logic » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 pm

the ones cumming into our estate are so bad they need ripping out,they are literally bricks no lies they are a car reckor of a bump,the subaru dont go over them great at 2mph let ALONE 20 mph(speed limit in the estate),the tigra dont mind them to much as its a bit higher of the ground,but they are a waste of time,i think.

But in some places i totally agree with them to slow traffic down going into residential estates where kiddies play etc,there is a woman near us who drives into and out of our estate so quickly and i get so angry with her lol only because ther are alot of kids that play around here...but i do not like speed bumps atall.. maybe makeing them more user friendly for lower cars :lol: and reflecting the speed limit would be better atleast then you could go over them at the designated speed limit..
    I ALWAYS HAVE AN OPINION !!! :)
    logic
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby =^..^= » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:54 am

Has any one ever been fined for speeding in a 20mph zone ? If the police went round a few areas with the hairdryer and booked anyone speeding it would make more of a difference than speed bumps.

IMHO.
    =^..^=

Postby Sarah172 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:08 am

Pfft speed bumps, ones in birch hill r horrible.

Few yrs back they were actually had speed guns out a lot.

Think with the ones up here is u can actually get a decent speed up between em
    Sarah172
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Pug 306 D Turbo
    Motoring Interests: Photography & motorsport

Postby bougourd » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:56 pm

the worst ones i have come across are going into anaghcoar from the traffic lights near pully golfcourse. rock hard on the way in but soft as S***e on the way out. and the one heading into willaston from the turnoff closest to bottom roundabout. the one comin into my estate is also annoyin cos u drive down a steepish hill into a bump. covered in scufffs from people rubbing along it.
    bougourd
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Focus RS, Transit RS

Postby _HENDO_ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Me and my bumpers aren't big fans of speedbumps... :( I'm all for safety measures and all but some of the speed bumps on the island are ridiculous!!
    _HENDO_

Vehicle Make & Model: Renault Megane Coupé

Postby REARSTEER » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:26 pm

i think all speed bumps should be taken up especially as every1 is bangin on about the enviornment!! how can u drive smoothly an save the planet if ya gotta keep slowin down then acceleratin?? plus speed bumps are alot more user friendly if ya keep the speed up let the suspension do the work! if ya go quick enough the car will stay level lol london is the worst for speed bumbs they are down every road so i invested in a fiat panda! london became a motorcross track woo hoo!!
    REARSTEER
    Novice User

Postby Roadie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:03 am

Hi everyone,

It would seem from the few responses on this topic so far that the D.O.T. (I.O.M.) installed speed humps are none too popular!

I for one detest them for various reasons e.g. safety, pollution, the damage they cause to cars etc. (the links at the bottom of this post go into detail show examples and good reasons against their use).

My own car is 95 mm at the front, it is not modified and as bought from the factory being purchased before all the humps were installed. On the vast majority of speed humps the rubber lip on the front catches on them, giving a nice scraping noise as you go over them and this is at a speed slower than walking pace! Some I cannot even get my car over (as my car will ground out) e.g. Strang Road (between the Spar shop and Ballanawin Estate on which emergency vehicles use), the Estate by the Highwayman in Peel, Old Laxy Hill, Cronk y Berry Estate etc....

My father has an old MGB roadster that he has to drive with two wheels on the pavement to get it out of his estate as the speed hump at the entrance (never got why they are placed at the entrance of the estates) is far too tall and guess what! If he did not do this it would ground out and do severe damage to the car!

Now this is where things get interesting!

From Isle of Man Newspapers (link below) "Mr Anderson said his department followed best practice guidance set by the UK Department for Transport when deciding on the size, gradient and spacing of road bumps."

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Height-o ... 4931309.jp

Well Mr David Anderson MHK, here are the regulations you state that your department follows...

The (UK) Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999. This prescribes that road humps must have:
    • a minimum height of 25mm
    • a maximum height of 100mm.
    • a minimum length of 900 mm
    Also, no vertical face of any part of a road hump shall exceed 6mm in height.

The Department for Transport (UK) recommends the use of 75mm high road humps to avoid potential incidents of grounding and also to avoid possible discomfort to vehicle occupants, as previously detailed.

The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19991025.htm
    75mm high road humps
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tal ... ge=1#a1000

Whoops! Oh dear D.O.T! It transpires that the vast majority of the speed humps that the D.O.T. has installed over the years on the Island are in fact illegal under the aforementioned regulations.

Oh it gets better!

In a letter dated 11th April 2003 from Mr J A Davidson from the Highways and Traffic Division of the Department of Transport, which was addressed to the residents of Strang Road and Ballanawin Estate, detailed a proposed Traffic Calming scheme on the A22 (Strang Road) for three table top ramps. In this letter and enclosed plans it clearly states that the height of the table top speed humps “is proposed at 125mm high”.

Again further confirmation in writing from the D.O.T. that they do not follow the prescribed regulations!

I think I am going to take this matter up with Mr Peter Karan MHK, Mr Anderson MHK along with Isle of Man Newspapers as I should be able to drive my vehicle along any public road unhindered. That is what I pay vast sums of Fuel Duty and Road Tax for!

Let me know what you all think!

Oh and some more links!

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm

http://www.bromleytransport.org.uk/Humps.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_bump
    Roadie

Postby Pugguy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:10 am

Fantastic post Ste, It will be really interesting to see where you get too with the MHK's. It is out of order they get away with going against regulations. Personally the '6mm' vertical height is interesting, as the speed bumps on the entrance to our estate are literally just two lines of bricks, each line about 50mm vertically, the ride over is very servere at any speed & no doubt doing the vehicle no good at all.

I will set up a petition at the beginning of this thread to get some votes..
    I reject your reality & substitute my own..

Pugguy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Highscores: 2
    Vehicle Make & Model: Subaru Impreza P1
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2.0 Turbo
    Motoring Interests: Rallying, Vehicle modifications, Performance

Postby este » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26 am

Not only that but they will probably have to waste MORE money now and time (road closed etc) while they take they down and re-do them!!!

No surprise to poll so far i see!
    …because the voices told me to!
    este
    Pro Member

PreviousNext

Return to Local Chat