Black 206 on broadway

Chat about anything happening in the Isle of Man
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Black 206 on broadway

Postby Nay » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Dont really wanna say much about it as it might be a sensitive issue but here are the details. This is the article....

AN ELDERLY pedestrian has been seriously injured after he was in a collision with a car in Broadway, Douglas, last night (Tuesday).
    The 65-year-old Andreas man had been crossing the road, opposite the entrance to the Villa Marina car park, when the accident happened at 9.30pm.

The woman driver of the black Peugeot car involved escaped injury.

However, the man was admitted to Noble's Hospital with head and leg injuries.

Sergeant Gary Heaton, of the Douglas Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: 'The injuries to this man are serious, but are not thought to be life threatening. The female driver of the car was uninjured.

'I would like anyone who may be witness to these events to contact Constable Paul Dugdale in the road policing unit, should they have any information which will assist on 631212.

'I would further add that motorists and pedestrians need to be mindful of road conditions when it is wet and need to be careful in the area of Broadway when it is busy with patrons exiting the Villa Marina late at night.'
    Nay
    Advanced Member

Postby poshboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:26 pm

cars can get caught out by peeps stepping out of the villa at night but least the fella is ok :D
    Don't knock on Death's door, Ring the bell and runaway,
    Death really hates that.

Steer with the rear
    poshboy
    Pro Member

Highscores: 4
    Vehicle Make & Model: Vauxhall VXR8
    Vehicle Engine Size: 6.2

Postby DD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:45 pm

seen the road blocked off last night and the black pug at the side of the road with its hazards flashing....know a few people with a 206, hope its not any of them, i would hate to be responsible for running someone over, even if it was their fault (not saying that it was the drivers fault or the pedestrians fault by the way coz i dont know what happened)
    Maybe it's because i'm a Douglaser
    That i love Douglas so
    That i think of her wherever i go

I get a funny feelin inside of me
    Just walkin up and down
    That I love Douglas town!
    DD
    Post Master

Postby pcolvin00 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm

I'll tell you what I think I can get away with seeing as I know the person in hospital and the family quite well.

From what we can gather him and his wife were crossing the road, she got over just a few steps before him and the pug has just caught him with enough force for him to hit his head on the windscreen and roll off underneath a van parked at the side of the road. He's got a broken leg and query broken nose with bumps and scrapes. It seems to have been a very slow accident but on someone as old as him it's not good.

Me and my dad were pretty much first on the scene as we were just leaving the villa about 30 seconds after it happened.

The girl driver of the pug was in hysterics and was driving with a space saver spare (stupid things that they are) on R plates. Going down hill in slippery wet conditions, only one full tyre and half a tyre and lack of experience doesn't make for a good set of conditions.

I would say that the police and firebrigade were very quick about getting there but the ambulance took about 20 minutes (ok, so that depends on where they were, other shouts, conditions, etc etc - but still very slow cnsidering it's the centre of douglas)

Not really heard much of an update today - but the guy was to have his leg operated on (I don't know anymore details than that) but is "doing ok" considering. Will give a call tomorrow and see how he's doing.

It's all down to the police and the statements of the driver, passenger and "victim" from here on in as to what really happened. And whatever witnesses come forward as well.
    [color=red]IAM[/color] Now A Fully Qualified National Observer
    I like a good blast over the Mountain but I also am someone who does Speed Limits!
    [color=blue]ManxYakker [/color]- Give Me A Rapid! NOW!
    pcolvin00
    IAM_Member

Postby poshboy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Saw the car at the test centre today, no real damage on the front as far as I could see but wasn't goin to get out in this weather lol The girl hadn't had it long either
    Death really hates that.

Steer with the rear
    poshboy
    Pro Member

Postby Cret » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:35 pm

Can't make any sort of qualified comment of course but judging from the apparent reaction of the driver, and with all the other factors it sounds a little bit like a really unfortunate incident.

I suppose you can always say comments about driving to the conditions etc, and that in theory it may have been possible to avoid, but all things considered this sounds for the most part just a very unfortunate combination of circumstances.

Glad that those concerned seem to be on the road to recovery and I feel sorry for the driver too, as it must be a horrible thing to be involved in even without injuries.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby pcolvin00 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi all,

I can say that the person involved in the accident is on the road to recovery and should be out of hospital within the next few days / end of the week.

I haven't yet heard anything else about the driver....
    [color=red]IAM[/color] Now A Fully Qualified National Observer
    I like a good blast over the Mountain but I also am someone who does Speed Limits!
    [color=blue]ManxYakker [/color]- Give Me A Rapid! NOW!
    pcolvin00
    IAM_Member

Postby poshboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:11 am

Energy said yesterday he got discharged? :?
    Death really hates that.

Steer with the rear
    poshboy
    Pro Member

Postby chaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Cret wrote:Can't make any sort of qualified comment of course but judging from the apparent reaction of the driver, and with all the other factors it sounds a little bit like a really unfortunate incident.

It was more than an "unfortunate incident" based on the little i know about it
    chaz
    Pro Member

Highscores: 1

Postby XxXdottyXxX » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 am

:roll:
    Last edited by XxXdottyXxX on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdottyXxX

Next

Return to Local Chat