Car Computer mk2

Discuss any Interior/Exterior modifications, valeting, Audio & Security etc
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Re: Car Computer mk2

Postby JayJay » Thu May 20, 2010 11:24 am

Nice work! Mine's not quite as intense as yours :lol: Needs some tidying up around the cables and it's only for music. There's a site called linitx.com (I think, just Google Linitx). They supply loads of brilliant CarPC parts, specifically a perfect power supply. It's just a GND and +ve connection, and it has all the required motherboard connectors. It turns sends the on signal to the motherboard after a few seconds after it detects the cars ignition signal (you can change the delay). It also monitors the car battery when the system is off to ensure it doesn't drain it too low. If it drops below a certain voltage it cuts the PC's power (in case anyone didn't know PC's always drain a small amount of power when off :)). Ordered pretty much all of my stuff from there, and they do brilliant cases for them:

Unfortuantely I need a smaller HDD as the current one (something like 1 billion years old :P) is too big, hence it being on the outside. And the cables need tyding, they rattle around the boot when cornering :roll:

Bit of cutting with a dremel and some fibreglass. Just need to tidy it up a bit.

Love the pop out screen though 8)
    JayJay

Re: Car Computer mk2

Postby Cret » Thu May 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Nice one mate. I have the same monitor for another potential project but I'm missing the plastic button strip and can't get one anywhere. They aren't really necessary but I'd rather have one than not.
    I even tried asking lilliput directly. :(

Yeah that's a decent site. I mainly use MP3car.com - they have a good forum and lots of products.

I've got centrafuse software to try out too for music and stuff.
    The power supply I have does exactly what you say - it's an M1-ATX that gives 90w, so plenty for what I need.

Good work anyway! I'd rather use a built in panel than this motorised one as they're notorious for breaking, but limited space means I can't do that AND keep the normal head unit, and I don't want to have to do without one.
    Wish I could get round that though as it would free up tons of space inside the dash for wires and stuff, and reduce the odds of something going wrong.

You don't want to give me your plastic button strip I suppose mate? :wink:
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Postby JayJay » Thu May 20, 2010 1:53 pm

M1-ATX, thats the one! Couldn't remember the name :lol: I think by the time I'd bought mine it was the M2 or M3-ATX. I managed to get my screen from someone selling theirs on digital-car.co.uk, another good site.

I'm using FreeICE, it's a free frontend developed by someone on digital-car. Very good, lightweight and simple. I'd recommend giving it a look! http://www.freedrive.co.uk/ Not as polished as Centrafuse but as I'm only using mine for music (and radio if I ever get an acceptable USB antenna) the FreeICE frontend is perfect. It also has built in games (like BlackJack, Simon Says and Noughts and Crosses. Perfect when the girlfriend "has to run inside for a second")

I'd gladly give you the button strip, if a) I knew how to remove it and b) I didn't use it :P I've also moulded the rest of the fascia around the unit as a whole so unfortunately I can't remove the strip :lol:
    JayJay

Postby Cret » Thu May 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Ah well. Cheers anyway.

I think M2 and M3 are just the higher powered versions of the M1 but I got mine on ebay for half the going rate - that's the only reason I have the M1 in particular.

I've used Roadrunner in a previous carpc and that was pretty decent. Most of the time though I'll be either just using the kenwood or using the PC for non music stuff like datalogging and map tweaking.
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby man83g » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 pm

http://www.geekmapped.com/

Have you asked on somewhere like this cret. Ive read a few bits on it but dont really understand as some of them talk in binary!!!
    Might be worth a read..
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Postby Cret » Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Cool! Thanks for the link mate. Actually never heard of that site before I must admit.
    Will sign up for a look - nice one. :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Postby man83g » Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm

No problem mate. People on the mlr are always posting links to it, seems to be the place to go for stuff like that. Hope it helps!!
    Now with added booooooost!!! 1.7bar peak holding 1.6 ish....
    man83g
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: None!!!
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2leg power...
    Motoring Interests: Missing my evo...

Previous

Return to Interior & Exterior Modifications