Installing ICE - Help and advise needed

Discuss any Interior/Exterior modifications, valeting, Audio & Security etc
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • Installing ICE - Help and advise needed

Postby adios206 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Right guys your help and advise is needed.
    I have a all in one dvd head unit which is currently installed, to that i am adding 2 drop down 8inch monitored already fiited in car just need to wire them up and have a digital freeview tuner again needs wiring up.

I need to know where to find live sources in the car to wire them upto? So far i have cig lighter.
    I spoke to the guy from audio island and he says i will need 3 separate live connections.

Then i have the following to install and wire up:
    Large phoenix gold 2 channel amp
    Smaller phoenix gold amp
    2 x 12" phoenix gold octane subs
    MB Quart DSD 216 speakers
    2.0 Farad Power Cap

The large amp is going to run the two subs and the smaller one is to run the comps.

My uni mate who does all the ICE for the demo show cars and is currently working for kenwood is telling me that i need to use the best wiring possible and recommends the same stuff he has but at Ă‚ÂŁ15 per foot is way out my price range. Sat in his car, no distortion, no rattles, no nothings, its clear and crisp.

Not going to ask him or argue with him as i'll never hear the end of it.

To me i cant see the wiring making a huge difference to the sound. Am i correct in assuming this or will it actually make a big difference?

Can anyone recommend any brand of wiring or let me know what i need to be looking for? And what all the difference specs of wiring mean for example 4 gauge compared to 8 gauge and Oxygen free speaker cables etc. I currently have a 3000watt wiring kit and loads of speaker cable and was just gonna use that. Car is going to be sound deadened once i get more funds.

This is how the set up will look as it stands, ignore the 6x9s n amp under the parcel shelf,
    But im thinking of having both amps and power cap on the floor and either building a false floor or having the amps in 2 enclosures.

What do you think? which one would look better?

I am aiming to get this car at a few shows next summer, new alloys in spring and retrim parts of interior in white leather as planned and remap.

My mate is talking to his bosses about the possibility of using the car as a demo car but would need to use all kenwood equipment which id get at cost price, but all plans and car would have to be to a high spec and id have to attend every show which id be more than happy to do.
    You know my car, you know my style
    Who needs speed wen u got looks
    adios206

Postby iomgto » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:19 am

these screens going on the back of the front seats i guess? and the third one is going where? what power useage are the screens? do they come with small transformers? (not the cartoon type) there are a few ways to do it.Run a main from the batter and have a relay off your stereo. run it off the accessories wire. (blue i thinnk) so when ur stereo comes on it flicks the relay and u have clean power from the battery running the screens. Usually the kits (screens) come with fitting instructions so should help all u need in there.

The 3000 watt fitting kit will be fine. might be worth thinking about a deep cycle battery or even a second battery with a uprated alternator with split charge. surprising how much juice these stereos and amps are drawing.
    iomgto
    Pro Member

Postby adios206 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:31 am

the rear screens are fitted to the roof and flip down, the third screen is in the dash(all in one dvd headunit), the screens didnt have any fitting instructions with them at all. Cant remember the power usage off head will have to dig out the boxes but do know its very low as checked that when purchasing them. I connected the screens separately to my power cable from the headunit to test they worked and was thinking of connecting everything to that but isnt there a chance of overloading the wiring?!? Dont want to blow my equipment or fry my car!

Would i be able to use something like a power distribution block? Seems the easiest option.

Sorted the amp wiring kit now, ordered a autolead 0 guage dual amp kit and then mates getting me a roll of speaker cable from the workshop.
    You know my car, you know my style
    Who needs speed wen u got looks
    adios206

Postby Cret » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Good wiring is definitely very important (ie bad wiring will cause loads of problems) but I would say it's questionable whether wire that costs 15 quid a foot is worth doing. Obviously it has to be well put together and thought out but that does not necessarily equate to spending tons on the power wiring.

As long as you have a good clean power supply that is more than capable of handling the current demands of the system and free from inteference then 9.5 out of 10 people would not physically be able to hear the difference IMO.

Sounds like you'll have a pretty cool install when it's done though mate. Good luck with it! :)
    If you don't like my comments, don't cause me to write them. How simple is that! :)
    Cret
    Mod Team
    Mod Team

Vehicle Make & Model: RS

Return to Interior & Exterior Modifications