M3 sh*t box project - Quick update 23/02/13

Let us know what vehicle you own & discuss it in here.
  • View unanswered postsView active topics
  • M3 sh*t box project - Quick update 23/02/13

Postby steeldonkey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Sorry if some of this makes little sense, but its copied from another forum, just thought it may be of some minor interest to someone else.

This has been acquired for a couple of reasons:

1) Everything i do to the e46 M3 to make it better on track, makes it slightly less comfortable on the road, and on my current trajectory it will end up being very little fun at all for anything other than a short hop, so I really need to stop messing about with it.

2) My e30 318is has gone to a new owner, so i now have a little space.

3) I start to physically twitch if i don't have something to mess about with.

So with the above in mind I decided it was time for something more track orientated bet that would also be quick enough for me to more or less be able to leave the engine alone, it also had to be cheap.

So after looking at a few options, and probably better cars :lol: an e36 N reg 3.0 coupe was found. It was/is crap and had been fairly extensively dissembled.

However a deal was struck for the princely sum of £1350 to include a two piece GT rep spoiler, a Mocal 10 row, evo front lip, bonnet pins, and was supposed to include a decent looking 6 point cage.

This left me with a problem as i (for work reasons) live on the Isle of man and the car was in bits in Shrewsbury :roll:

So a few calls were made and the many wel knows forum individuals came both to assist and put me up for a night.

(special thanks to: Ollie, Coxy, Passenger Face "lee", Sniff Petrol who all pitched in to get the job done in a day, it couldn't have been done without their help)

Either way after a bit of a mammoth effort where exhausts didn't fit and brake hard lines needed to be completely replaced the car was rolling again, sadly there was no way the roll cage would fit, it just wasn't happening :| so not sure what to do about that at the moment, chances are it will be a new cage.

Anyway, having got into a safe condition, i then nursed/flogged it 140 miles up to Heysham ferry, ensconced in this very fetching gentleman's smoking seat.

It was, er, nice.

To be honest i have done bugger all on the car until this weekend as its just too dark and too wet, and i couldn't be bothered after the weekend spent putting it all back together.

So i have started to get cracking this weekend, we Sunday afternoon anyway.

So all sound deadening removed (still needs a wipe down)

Most of the rear wiring removed:

Take another look at the nice ALLOY doors the car has! WOOT!

As the original center section is completely dead I bought the Stainless evo one the seller had for £40, problem is its got no lambda fittings, so

Drill first skin:

Finish drilling the rest of it :roll:

Fit lambda boss's

Will get that fitted to the car later, but at least its ready to go on.

Job list includes:

Fit ARP bolts and new bearings (hopefully that will sort the very very slight knocking that i can now hear round cyl 5/6 :cry: :roll: )
    Repair and weld rusty rear arches
    Seam weld any sections that look like they need reenforcement.
    Fit electric fan
    Flock Dash
    Remove all body brackets and wiring that is now redundant
    Fit standard e36 rack
    Replace ALL new balljoints and bushes.
    Fit plumbed extinguisher
    Fit proper roll cage
    Replace diff plates and install lower ratio
    Polly rear windows
    May look at fitting an evo head and itb's
    twin pump and foam baffle in tank
    Sort out brakes
    Replace fuel and brake lines
    spray car and interior
    Fit livery
    Lots of other things i have forgotten :lol:

Man that list looks big.

Right, some bits have started to arrive, i spotted these months back when they were white and thought they were badass then, oddly imo they never sold and re-appeared in silver.
    A deal was done for £120 plus delivery:
    Ronal et20 8j rims, apparently a 5 series option, though i have never seen them on a BMW.
    Providing they bolt up right i will be very pleased with them!
    They weigh in at a consistent 10.9kg, which for an 8j 17 is not too shabby, not mega light but not bad for £120

Well another late start of a Sunday (just too dark by the time i get back during the week) i got cracking on the rusty rear arches, ergh :roll:
    Well in short the offside cleared up to bright metal ok
    But the nearside :| not good, to be fair i knew it wasn't going to be pretty.
    Interestingly, there seems to be a obvious reason why they all rot out at this point on the arch
    The inner and outer arches, are not welded, they are simply bonded together with the same seam sealer you can feel in the inner lip, could be worth considering if your considering if your going to rake it all out to roll the lips. There is the odd spot weld here and there, but the bulk of the outer arch is secured just with seam sealer!
    boot came up ok though!

Thought i would chuck up a bit more progress:

Small update, mostly parts really as work has been nuts so I just haven't had the time to get out there for more than a hour.

Spec list currently reads (although not actually attached to the car yet)

Car
    GT hi rise Spoiler
    Silicon coolant hoses
    Evo center section
    clutch hose
    Bonet and boot Fixing Pins
    8j Ronal wheels
    Steering wheel
    Boss
    Camber arms
    Differential plates
    Plumbed extinguisher (MSA)
    seat mount
    Kevlar seats
    suspension
    Lamda boss's
    Rose joints
    Misalignment spacers
    stainless rod
    Mocal oil cooler

Most recent arrivals of note are:

HSD Suspension

Complete with some very nicely made camber and caster adjustable topmounts.

These don't come with the adjustable roll bar links like the e46 variants (probably due the the increased complexity Vs cost of the e36 items) so i will be making up my own rose jointed ones, bugger paying the prices people want for them!

Extinguisher is a good bit of kit, just need to get the fire pulls to complete it. 6 nozzles and liters to the engine bay and 2 liters into the drivers face, sincerely hope i never need to test the effectiveness of this kit :|

All the other bits are just small stuff so no pics, but hopefully i should have some more time in the next few weeks to start making progress.

Current cost so far is £2365

Ok, so what has happened, well I have been lying on my back in the dark while snow falls around me with my balls trying to utilise the warmth of my small intestine, i get frostbite on my c**k and rust in my eyes.

Frankly the car is a bit manky underneath, though fortunately nothing that cant be resolved with a flap disk and some por 15 and seam sealer, though i dare say if it was left for another few years it would be game over for the shell.

Fist off diff out and back axle down (this is a **** in the cold, on your tod on axle stands)

This was almost plain sailing, with the notable exception of one of the unbelievably rusty rtab bolts :evil: :roll:

This will doubtless be a ball ache to get out, but one way or another it will get sorted, even if i have the fill it with weld and drill and tap it, ****ing thing.

Then in the warmth of my basement i broke the axle down and stripped the diff.

It was very crusty :|

Roll bar

De-crusted

done

Diff case and bearing races de crusted and treated

Diff has been completely stripped, de-greased rebuilt with the tolerances measured ready for its reduced ramp angles, 3.64 ratio
    and possible 4 plate conversion.

Rest of the axle will recive the same treatment, with either 90 grade polly bushes, delrin diy bushes, or alloy inserts, or as a last resort oem replacements, all bolts will also be replaced, as they were all F**K.

Massive pile of ultra hard polly bushings

I also started practicing my flocking, I will be keepoing the center surround but im not sure on the glove box yet, it just strikes me as handy to chuck **** in without it rattling all over the gaff.

Flocked GB, still needs a final brush

Flocked surround but retaining a little of the extended leather

On the parts front things have still been moving

Motordrive Kevlar composite buckets, tatty but light £40

Willwood brake Bias controller (with the weight shifting to the front i want the option to limit rear brake pressure and its a pice of piss as the rear lines will be internal £10

All in one gauge kit (bit like a rally budget stack dash) has Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Water temp, Battery volts, 8k Rpm meter, oh and a clock :lol:
    Comes with all the relevant sensors and adapters £80

This is an idea of what its like outside :lol:

Bit more done

Picked up the carrier/platforms/rtab housings from the grit baster, for £20 they blasted the whole lot so it seemed like a no brainer really.

Pressed in the replacement front diff bush (very simple to do tbh)

These were then painted with por-15 direct to the roughened metal, then given a coat of epoxy paint and a top coat of silver, so should stay corrosion free for a good while.

I then fitted the 90shaw poly bushes

Inner upper (don't think anyone other than strong flex makes these in poly)

Carrier bushes

Then the lower adjustable arms (don't like thee really, they are probably 2.5x as heavy as the standard ones, but i have them and they will give me plenty of adjustment without the hassle of the camber bolts.) these were also coated in chassis epoxy

The diff cups are off being machined done to 30 degrees and the new 3.64 pinion is fitted, however the input seal doesn't look all that clever on further inspection so i need to swap that before doing much more with it.

Once its not raining i will start getting it all back on the car and get to work on the front :thumb:

30 degree ramps (spark eroded and polished)

3.64 crown and pinion

4 clutch plate conversion

used 14mm precision tube to make bolt spacers for fitting the m12 bolt crown to the m14 bolt m3 cluster

Drilled and wire locked the lot to be sure they will all be staying put!

Also replaced all the seals in the diff to keep it good and oil tight and the cover bolts as the old ones were pretty rotten.

All together eventually!

Bit of time since the last update, but that doesn't mean that **** hasn't got done.
    I have seam sealed and waxoiled the rear half of the under body (horrible job, not recommended) and fitted a good portion of the rear axle.
    I also dived into the wiring with a pair of snips and a bin bag, this was not an unmitigated success.
    Lessons learned:
    1. ripping the entire loom apart in one go means that it will look like a cat has had an epileptic fit in a wool shop.
    2. Test everything before you assume that all is well
    3. If you have wired around the starter interrupt the car cranking mens **** all
    4. Having a blazing hot curry the night before you sit in a small space means that your assistant will accuse you of having "ass aids"
    Anyhoo.
    Removing all the annoying alarm b*llocks
    Removing all kinds of other b*llocks i decided i probably wouldn't need
    This left me with a car that wouldn't start, because due to the magic and witchcraft of EWSII the box had completely shat its self, this was solved by getting a non EWS chip for the dme (complete with some more aggressive fuel and ignition maps and a 7900 rpm limit) this restored the happy time of having a running engine.
    Which more of less get me to this stage
    At this stage i fitted my diy flocked dash, which to be honest has come out ok, pics make it look a bit better than it is, but in all honesty i am fairly pleased with it.

Looking to try and achieve this for about 3/4k so if i cant do it myself, it won't be getting done.
    Last edited by steeldonkey on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
    steeldonkey

Re: M3 sh*t box project

Postby audiodjmp77 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:45 pm

how did you flock it yourself and was it easy to do. I'm thinking about doing it to my celica
    audiodjmp77

Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota Celica GT4
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1998cc
    Motoring Interests: Car audio.

Postby warby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Major props to you man. I need a project like this, might do it to the s14 one day :)
    warby
    Advanced Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Nissan 200sx s14
    Vehicle Engine Size: 2000cc

Postby steeldonkey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 pm

audiodjmp77 wrote:how did you flock it yourself and was it easy to do. I'm thinking about doing it to my celica

Essentially, de grease it, splat a load of black (or whatever colour you want) all over it, then fire fine flock all over it through a narrow nosed bottle. brush it and hoover it and your done.

warby wrote:Major props to you man. I need a project like this, might do it to the s14 one day :)

Cheers dude, to be fair its a ball ache but hopefully will be worth it in the end.

Quick vid of running the diff in in fifth just to ease it off :lol:

steeldonkey

Postby Jay_VTR » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:59 pm

serious build man! love it mate, will it be road legal or a trailor queen? would be mega to have as a TT toy...
    Tom wrote:Loved it when i saw it the other day. By far one of the best saxos over here.
    Jay_VTR
    Pro Member

Vehicle Make & Model: Citroen Saxo VTR
    Vehicle Engine Size: 1.6

Postby steeldonkey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:10 am

Jay_VTR wrote:serious build man! love it mate, will it be road legal or a trailor queen? would be mega to have as a TT toy...

Road legal dude, I am retaining all the lights etc so it should be no real problem, and I don't really want to tow it with the e46!
    steeldonkey

Postby S2000 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:39 am

Looks great - some serious work gone in here.

Is that an E46 dash?
    2003 Porsche Carrera 4S
    2001 BMW M5
    1988 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
    S2000

Vehicle Make & Model: Pork M5 Stang
    Vehicle Engine Size: 3.6 5.0 5.0

Postby tree » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm

liking this!!!

lots of effort an man hours. this is what i like to see, passion in work.

hats off mate
    Quocunque jeceris stabit
    tree
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Postby steeldonkey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm

S2000 wrote:Looks great - some serious work gone in here.

Is that an E46 dash?

Thanks mate, it is taking longer than i had hoped really, but a 2 month old daughter tends to delay projects like this :lol:

Its a standard 336 dash, but probably mooks a bit different as the m3 clocks look a bit more modern and its been covered in glue and fluff :wink:

tree wrote:liking this!!!

lots of effort an man hours. this is what i like to see, passion in work.

hats off mate

Glad you like it chap, hopefully it will be ready for a shakedown at Jurby some time next year, if i manage to resist the occasional desire to launch it off a cliff and fire burning arrows into it :lol:
    steeldonkey

Postby JayJay » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:27 am

1) Everything i do to the e46 M3 to make it better on track, makes it slightly less comfortable on the road, and on my current trajectory it will end up being very little fun at all for anything other than a short hop, so I really need to stop messing about with it.

I've got the same problem with my Prelude (albeit with less power :wink: ). If only I had the space to get a 2nd car to work on :(

Awesome project, love the amount of work thats gone into it :thumbleft:
    JayJay

Next

Return to Members Vehicles & Projects